Question for the WSM owners out there

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Quick question... First, I am going to be getting my first WSM for comps soon. At home I have a Chargriller Pro Offset. So there were a couple of things I was thinking about...

(1) do you use Briquettes, or lump
(2) Is there a good way to add more charcoal if you need to on a longer cook, or if you don't estimate correctly before firing up the grill.

Of course, if there is anything else I need to know, I would be interested in hearing what you all have to say.

Thanks everyone!!

Hi there!

(1) Briquettes. I spend the extra bucks and pack the fire ring as full as it will go with the Kingsford Hickory briquettes.
(2) Don't add more charcoal - use the Minion method. Here's a recent thread for your reading pleasure. In my large WSM, my world record is 24 hours at 250F before temps started falling off at the end. Of course that was on a perfectly calm day and using my Stoker. (Wind can get a WSM very excited and burn up all your fuel quickly.)

I agree with the previous post. I use Kingsford Blue and just fill it full. I know I can go at least 16 hours low and slow with that much charcoal. Maybe more...

If I ran into a situation where I needed to add charcoal, I'd probably remove the top two sections to expose the charcoal basket and just add from there and then replace the top two sections.... very carefully!

you can use the minion method but in the event you have to add charcoal I open the door and slide the charcoal in using the door like a slide. I also use briquettes. I figure if its good enough to suggested by weber its good enough for me.

I use lump, but honestly, you might want to start with briquettes while you figure the cooker out. I started with briquettes and have never had trouble since switching to lump, but occasionally I hear people say they have trouble with lump in their WSM which I can only figure is perhaps not being as familiar with their WSM (I could be wrong though). Briqs like Kingsford are consistent, reliable and long burning, but you will have a lot of ash to dispose of. You also can't do high heat smoking in the 350-375 range with Kingsford, which I do with lump in my WSM's regularly for chicken.

As for refueling (remember I use lump) I either lift the middle section off, or if it is too heavy I just feed it in through the door. I just put new coals on top of the old, as long as the air intakes are dialed down it's not all going to light up unless you have a leaky WSM.

lots of good info here.. thanks everyone!! By the looks of it, I think there will be a LOT of experimentation going on... My family, friends, and neighbors will all be happy about that...

One other question... I noticed that it sounds like you all just "cram it full" of charcoal. Do you do the same, if you are doing a shorter cook, like a batch of ribs? I am just wondering, that if I am doing ribs only, that is more like 6 hours vs a longer cook for Pork Shoulder or Brisket. So I am wondering if there is some way of "adjusting" for a shorter cook.

I agree with previous posts minion method and lump charcoal (less ash and long burn time). Takes longer to load up but in the long run it seems to last longer. If your getting s 22 it should run a long long time on one load 18 last good but also, but if doing long cook you might need to throw a some more on.

I use lump charcoal with chunks of smoke wood mixed in to the mix. My current favorite is Peach wood, but that's just me. No water in the pan for me. Too messy. If I do need to add more fuel, I lift off the entire upper section of the cooker as one piece: racks, top and center section, and deal with the fire bowl. When all is good, put everything back together. Typically there is meat only on the top rack so things are not too heavy. I find adding fuel through the door to be awkward and inefficient.

Welcome to the WSM family.

I use charcoal. Stumps is my choice; it burns cleaner, less odor, lights faster, and a lot less ash the Kingsford Blue bag. I tried lump a few times and liked the results but hated prepping it and would never do it again.

Minion method is the best for me and the long cooks I've had.

I use a small shovel to add chrcoal to my WSMs when needed. Lay the bag on it's side on the ground, shovel some coal out and place it in the WSM. If you are using lump or natural briqs there is no issue with adding unlit briqs.

Lump works great in a WSM. Briquettes work great in a WSM. Natural briquettes, that is. Stumps, Rancher, RO Chef's Select and the like.

Even with handles on the side of the WSM I hestiate taking it apart to add charcoal. Who wants hot water spilled all over or just taking a chance on dropping it and wrecking whatever meat might be inside.

lots of good info here.. thanks everyone!! By the looks of it, I think there will be a LOT of experimentation going on... My family, friends, and neighbors will all be happy about that...

One other question... I noticed that it sounds like you all just "cram it full" of charcoal. Do you do the same, if you are doing a shorter cook, like a batch of ribs? I am just wondering, that if I am doing ribs only, that is more like 6 hours vs a longer cook for Pork Shoulder or Brisket. So I am wondering if there is some way of "adjusting" for a shorter cook.

I fill my charcoal basket based on the length of my cook. The only time I fill it all the way is for long cooks, and usually end up with some left for the next cook. On the next cook, I just add to the top of the pile.

If you fill above the top of the coal basket, your water pan may hit the top of your coals, BTW, so check for that before you start the fire, or get a shallower water pan.

I use briquettes, BTW, because it is more predictable.

CD

I would agree with the advice to start with briquettes. That said, I like the taste lump gives me much better than that of briquettes, AND, I like that if I'm done cooking, I can just close the vents and let it go out, and what's left can be used later. Briquettes tend to absorm moisture, so this doesn't work so well with them.

I have handles on the 22", and I take the barrel and top off to add coal, I use a clay saucer in the pan, so no worries about water spillage

I use both, lump and Stumps bricks. Both burn clean and less ash. No water, sand in the bowl. Should I need to ad some, throwing it in through the door is has never been a problem. It spikes just a bit, but settles back down quick enough. you really don't need to worry about how much for a shorter cook. Just fill it up. When you're done close all your vents, fire will snuff out and you'll have plenty for your next short cook.

I think everyone has given you good info. Personally I use Stubb's briqs minion method. I have the 22 incher and I have only had to refill once because of a miscalculation. I just put unlit briqs through the door, and it worked fine. For shorter burns I use less charcoal, and I've been thinking about getting a smaller ring for those. It seems like it would be easier. You're gonna love it. Enjoy!

I use kingsford briquettes and use only what i need but you'll figure that out as you use it more. If you're using it for comps then i'd suggest a few mods such as installing bolts in the door so you can flip it and crack it open for high heat cooks. If you look at the door installed you want to use stainless 1/4x20x2" bolts w/washers and lock washer at each upper corner. That way when you flip the door over the bolts rest on the lower part of the opening and can opened more or less depending on desired temp. You might also want to install a bolt in the lid, 1/4x20x2 1/2" if i remember correctly so you dont have to find a place to put the cover while checking the food. You drill about 3/4" up from the base of the lid and install the bolt w/washers and lock washer so that when you remove the lid you rest the lid on the side of the smoker hangin from the bolt. If you don't understand i can take pics or goto the TVWB site for pics. I found those 2 mods to be very helpful.

What does this mean? What prep are you referring to. I'm new here, so go easy on me.

Basically briquettes you just dump in there. But lump you have to stack and fill in the holes. Some pieces are small and will fall through to you have to manually place them to get nice even laver. It only takes a few more minutes than just dumping briquettes in there so I normally do this and have it prepped while meats marinating.

I purchased a Pimp Kit from Chris at C&C Grillin. The larger fire ring has been a huge help. It sits just a tad higher and gives a better air flow.

Everyone is correct about packing with lump. I purchased a spare grate and place it at a 90* to make the holes smaller. You can use it on the performer or other 22.5 kettles too.

If you are going for a long cook you really need to pack the fuel very tight. Like a jigsaw puzzle. No air pockets! Take the time, its worth it.

I have never had a problem adding fuel. Just open the door and throw it in.

And I am using briquetts cause it is sooo much cheaper, I gets the flavor from the wood.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Kingsford briquettes here...if I run low on coals during a smoke I light a chimney full and dump it in the ring via the door...have fun!

Back