July 5th 'Spares (w/Pron)

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can you believe it? My 4th of July came and went with my BBQ'ing nary a chicken thigh. Unacceptable for those of us with Q'ddiction. So, I decided to use today to try out some new cook times/temps, and a brand new custom rub on a couple sets of spares. Hopefully I've redeemed myself.

Here are the fellas i purchased from Costco a couple days ago. Pre-cut St. Louis-style, but still required my removing the membrane.
oqb9.jpg

A quick wash in warm water, and then a bath in ball-park mustard.
b2gu.jpg

Rubbed up with my new brown sugar/paprika-based rub.
l98p.jpg

Cooked at 275 for two hours, interrupting at the one hour mark for apple juice spraying. Here we are just before i wrap them with more brown sugar, butter, and honey along with a couple table spoons of apple sauce to steam along with them.
iv7k.jpg

These might be my best ribs yet. They had a tangy sweetness with just the right amount of kick. Just a tug to get the meat off the bone. My kids/wife devoured the two racks before I could admire them. I'm gonna have to do this again!. The only bad news -- my DigiQ temp management system has definitely hit a glitch. It sat in the 275 range "real world" while my fancy computer tried to tell me it was 175 the entire cook. I'll have to get with the folks at BBQ Guru for support on this one.

-Bastid

Back