• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Horizontal & Offset Drum Smokers

FYI – I started a thread for Horizontal & Offset Drum Smokers It's getting harder & harder to find those things amongst all the cool UDS builds here. I thought a stand alone thread might help.

bigbaby.gif

Wow, haven't been around in a while and this thread grew. This isn't all pretty but it makes some good bbq.

3640031856_400d129fb6_b.jpg

I have one thing going on that makes me wonder. The bottom rack is 24.3" from the bottom of the charcoal ring, the second is 7.5" above that. Last weekend I had a 12-13lb packer on the bottom rack and an 8-9lb butt on the top rack. Kept the temps in the 225-270 range all day and after 10.5 hours the brisket was done, the butt was only at 175.

I'm thinking I need to swap the racks half way through the cook but I hate to go to all the trouble. This happen to anyone else?

Hi. I have made it through 77 pages of this thread and I'm hooked. I have looked in to drums and found two different sources. One has open head used food grade lined drums with lids for $40. Another has new, painted, unlined drums with lid and clamp for $75.

I am assuming that (from what I have read) the paint on the outside of the new drum should be fine. The drum should be good to go.

How's the price though? The price on the used drums seems high given the prices I have seen posted on here, but I have to say I was quite looking forward to the burnout, being a pyro and all. The cleaning after that, not so much.

Any opinions?

Dave

i came home from work today and look what i found...

1.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

rust so there is no lining
IMG_9497.jpg

The price seems OK for the new drum but high for the used. I suggest you keep looking and maybe venture outside of Vienna.

This was actually two different places, craigslist for the used and a Baltimore company for the new drum.

Anyone in the mid Atlantic area have a hint as to where I can do better on prices?

Cheers
Dave

I have tried to read all the posts, but I have seemed to miss the answer to my problem. Can I use a stove gasket, or some other kind of gasket to seal under my weber lid. My drum top is rounded, and I do not really want to grind it down or cut it off. I also use the lid on my kettle, so I do not want to flair it out. Please assist me. Again, I appologise if this is a repeat question.......

6' tall with a beard? That would be fairy SIR, wouldn't it?

Glad you finally got your drum Typ--you've got the rest of the parts already, so let's see some progress. Once you get it going, you have to be careful--you'll gain some weight if you're not careful...

I picked up another drum tonight (closed, but no liner, for only 10 bucks). Looks like I better get crackin' on this one. Hopefully I can get it done before SHMBO realizxes what I'm doing...

well i still need some parts . i'm having another quick skim through this thread for a list of parts then im off to the store! i'll take plenty of photos :biggrin:

I have tried to read all the posts, but I have seemed to miss the answer to my problem. Can I use a stove gasket, or some other kind of gasket to seal under my weber lid. My drum top is rounded, and I do not really want to grind it down or cut it off. I also use the lid on my kettle, so I do not want to flair it out. Please assist me. Again, I apologize if this is a repeat question.......

It should work, I'm not sure how the proper way would be to attach it to the top of the drum though. My only question is would the Weber lid be heavy enough to compress the seal? I have a Weber lid that fits great without a seal, there is one side that gets a trickle of smoke coming out, but I think the intake is a bigger factor on temp. If you get a slight leak then close the vent a bit to match. I still rock 225 all day, no problems. Good luck.

This was actually two different places, craigslist for the used and a Baltimore company for the new drum.

Anyone in the mid Atlantic area have a hint as to where I can do better on prices?

Cheers
Dave

Did you ask the drum company if they sell refurbished drums?

Dewitt Barrel in my area sells new 55 gallon drums for $65 and refurbished drums for $25.

Did you ask the drum company if they sell refurbished drums?

Dewitt Barrel in my area sells new 55 gallon drums for $65 and refurbished drums for $25.

Yes, their refurbished drums, which still had the liners, were $55 and they couldn't tell me what they had in them. They claim they are clean, but I'm taking no chances.

I have a couple of new leads now, thanks for the info.

Oh, and I owe you a Buffalo Wing recipe...:-D

Dave

Back