more on what to do with leftovers; this time pork leg bones

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
After you pull the pork off the bones, alot of you probably think its only fair to pitch the leftover bones to the dog. First of all, most vets will strongly advise you from doing so. Second of all, smoked pork/ham bones make great soup stock or liquid base for a pot of beans.

Here's some of things I make with smoked pork/ham bones as the base:

Chili
Black bean soup
Split pea soup
Minestrone
Lentil soup

Again, a pressure cooker is a big help in processing smoked pork/ham bones.

So what else can be made with smoked pork/ham bones?

I guess by not being more specific I left myself open for that one Brian. I meant what other recipes/dishes. But you know that. Do you suppose we can keep it on subject for say 5 minutes?

My mom always did that and made ham and beans. I do that with any bird carcasses that I have and make all kinds of soups or what not.

And you are right about the bones and dogs. Pork bones tend to splinter, only give them beef bones, and definately no chicken bones.

I just spent another $300 on my farking dog.

Doc says no to animal bones period.

So the only bones she gets is Milk Bones for large breeds.

So where you boned by the vet or by the dog ?

I don't want to make this a dog food thread but I do let my dog eat bones IF they've been thoroughally pressure cooked and ground up. After all, that is how bone meal is made; a major ingredient in commercial dog food. So basically, anything pressure cooked that doesn't go into the soup goes (safely) to the dog .

Now to pull this back on track. I've also used smoked pork bones for boracho (drunken) beans. It's a great use for Schaefer's too. Basically, they're mexican ranch-style beans.

Ham and other smoked pork leftovers are always a good enough excuse for beans and cornbread at our house. Cut up some raw onion, open up a can of "Glory" turnip greens, a bottle of red wine....and Man Oh Man!!

Mark said:
I've also used smoked pork bones for boracho (drunken) beans. It's a great use for Schaefer's too. Basically, they're mexican ranch-style beans.

Got a recipe? I'll use Milwaukees Best Light :p Don't know if Schafers is sold down here.

in2que said:
Mark said:
I've also used smoked pork bones for boracho (drunken) beans. It's a great use for Schaefer's too. Basically, they're mexican ranch-style beans.

Got a recipe? I'll use Milwaukees Best Light :p Don't know if Schafers is sold down here.

It's sold down here off of Harry Hines.

brd1958 said:
It's sold down here off of Harry Hines.

Sold my machine gun so don't go there anymore. Besides, I'm married now, don't need those "services" :lol:

Back