I Pooped, I Cooked, I Ate.

Temps are set at 160. Will run this way until midnight, then put it up to 245 and leave it alone for the night.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but if you set the hold temp to 245 you won't have to mess with it at midnight, it will change automatically. No reason to be up at midnight if you don't have to!

i set the cook temp to 160 for 5 hours, then the hold temp to 245 with a 14 hour cook cycle. That should get me to 9AM when I'll go peek.

wow.. this is alot of work.

NOT!! :)

ummm yeah?? and your point is? :mrgreen:

Brisket has been in for 5 hours at 160. Temp in the flat is 125. The photos shows the little smoke box supplementing the pellets.

something kinda funny I noticed...... when u push "cook mode" button..it says.. 'set oven temperature', so I set the oven temp to 240.

I have the nu-temp with me to make sure the oven keeps running all night. So I guess I can watch TV, twiddle my thumbs, paint the den, count the peaks in the stucco, all while my brisket cooks. :wink::mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_1314[1].jpg
    IMG_1314[1].jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1315[1].jpg
    IMG_1315[1].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1316[2].jpg
    IMG_1316[2].jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 80
Damn that's a big brisket !!!

Is there a water pan in an FEC ? If so, are you using it ?

PS - With all this free time, how about re-sizing your columns too ? :biggrin:

nope, no waterpan.

the brisket is almost 17 lbs. should be ready for lunch tomorrow..

bring garlic bread. :tongue:

I just noticed something.. look at the second picture.. at the end of the chute... I caught a pellet in mid poop. :mrgreen::eusa_clap:eusa_clap

well... 2:15AM. Brisket is at 149. Pit is at 240. Im sitting up watching the nu-temp. I guess I will throw some cherry in the smoke pan and can go to bed.

I do smell like smoke this time.. every time I opened the dor, that little smoke box full of mesquite unloaded a face full of smoke on me. ahhh.... brisket for breakfast!!

congrates on the pooping your now doing (you could have been Stumpin though)! glad you finally found yer camera, I thought we was going to have to take up a collection for ya.

Welp, almost 9 and the brisket is at around 165 in the flat, been hovering around there for about 3 hours. Still real tight.

Got up at 6 to check on things and realized theres nothing to check. At 7AM, I poured a jar of Jon Henrys Lil' tater mopping sauce on top. It was in the fridge, figured I'd give it a try,

chit.. I HAD to do SOMETHING, otherwise, I would have just ordered out. :)

Welp, almost 9 and the brisket is at around 165 in the flat, been hovering around there for about 3 hours. Still real tight.

Got up at 6 to check on things and realized theres nothing to check. At 7AM, I poured a jar of Jon Henrys Lil' tater mopping sauce on top. It was in the fridge, figured I'd give it a try,

chit.. I HAD to do SOMETHING, otherwise, I would have just ordered out. :)

If we have to start calling you 'The Diddler', what are we going to call Mr. Kick?:eek::roll:

If we have to start calling you 'The Diddler', what are we going to call Mr. Kick?:eek::roll:

Ummm lets see.

How about............................

Mr. Kick?
:mrgreen:

Briskets out. Flat was stubborn. Didnt feel tender enuf yet and I didnt like that the temp was getting close to 190. Took it out anyway, wrapped it and and its sitting in the kitchen oven(off) under a blanket. Let it get happy on its own.

Make sure you unplug that outdoor oven after you're done. No need to waste electricity.

paydirt.. well, a few nickles worth.

Smoke ring.. a little one, but its there!

Attachments

• IMG_1320[1].jpg
    IMG_1320[1].jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1321[1].jpg
    IMG_1321[1].jpg
    76 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1322[1].jpg
    IMG_1322[1].jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1325[1].jpg
    IMG_1325[1].jpg
    72 KB · Views: 86
honestly... I havent had much yet(on my way to the gym), only tasted an end piece and it was a bit salty and too done for me. Sharon and james had it and gave it the thumbs up but slicing it, it seemed crumbly. I have not sliced the sweet spot yet and only took a 3-4 slices off the end to check it out.. Will get to it later for dinner. This cook was more experimenting. Most likly the whole thing is going to the mom in law.. we are pretty much BBQ-ed out right now from the amount of meat I've been cooking.

had the brisket last night.. Was pretty good, a bit salty for me, the sweet spot was pretty good, texture good, a little dry outside of the sweet spot.. but the point made really good burnt ends. There was definatley a smoke ring all around, but nothing like a stickburners. These cooks are more about learning the cooker, the timings the characteristics, etc.

the brisket was 16.9 lbs. Went in at 7, cooked it at 160* pit temp until midnight. then pushed to 240 and went away for 7 hours.

AM: Was at 155-165 for 3+ hours from 6-930. Then broke loose and hit 190 at about 12:15. checking it at the 180 mark and it was still super tight. Even at the 190 mark, it just dint feel right to be at that temp, still very tight. I dont like going to high in the pit, so I wrapped it and left it in a warm oven(Preheated to 140 and turned off) wrapped in heavy towels. It climbed on its own to 197 and it sat for several hours in the oven. 197 is a very high temp for me. i start feeling for doneness at 180 and pull when the probe feels right regardlesss of temp. This one was a stubborn hunk of beef. If it would have gone higher, it would have dried out. Not sure if my oversalting it had an effect(read below) on drying it out and needing to cook so high.

it was still pretty good, but ..... OOPSS..

Although the wife enjoyed it, so much so she had it for breakfast too, i think i overdid the salt and it actually puckered me up when i some sections.. Im not a salt fan to begin with).

I made 2 mistakes while prepping. Allowed myself to get distracted and had to go back 2-3 times while i was working the rubs, and lost track of what I was doing.

The plan was a layer of kosher salt, some tony C Hot for heat and flavor, some sweet, then black pepper. Simple.

Well, that was the plan.

What actually happened

I got sidetracked and pulled away after I put on the Tony C. then pulled away again shortly after and when I came back, i was actually going to wash it off and start over. I should have.

What got put on instead was
Kosher Salt,
Tony C,
Celery Salt(which was supposed to be Celery seed),
Onion Salt, (was supposed to be Granualted onion),
Garlic Salt(Supposed to be granulated Garlic)
Sweets
Black Pepper.

So.. with the amount of salt on there.. I probably cured the farking thing. May explain why it was a little on the dry side, and tough. Thats my critique. james and the wife say it was really good.. but they pour salt on farking everything.

(knowing the way things work sometimes, a judge may have scored it high. I found alot of times when i think somethings too salty and I give up on it, I wind up taking a walk to pick up a check and trophy. :confused::confused: :tongue:)

doing another porkloin tomorrow and i have to bring a batch of chicken and ribs to the gym for the trainers. :twisted::twisted::cool:. then next week I am cooking a load of stuff for a friends wedding, the following week coking for a judging class, and after that is williepalloza, which i wont be at since im going to dover. So i will be getting some time inside of this pit. problem is, one more cook, and I am out of pellets. Hope candy sets up delievery soon!.

"coking for a judging class"?..........

(that should be interesting:roll:)

YOU can be "The Tweaker" :tongue: .......because I AM "The Diddler"...... :mrgreen:

Sparticus!

Back