THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BASSER

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
ROB
Hello Brethren, I thought I saved a prior thread and appears I didnt:wacko:. The one I'm referring to is one about using the drippings from a pork butt to pour over the pulled pork. It sounded really good and I'm doing a butt tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated:-D.

Hey Basser, a few weeks ago I posted something like that. I use a drip pan under my butts. When I remove the meat from the smoker, I pour the drippings into a container and let them sit for a bit till the fat comes to the top. I use a ladel to remove the fat leaving just the drippings behind. I then add an equal amount of apple juice (ie. if there's 4 oz. of drippings, I use 4 oz. of juice) to the drippings and pour it over the pork when I pull it. I end up with very moist and very tasty pork.
If that's not what you were looking for, then... nevermind. :p

What's a fat separator?

These are a couple of different fat separators. The fat goes to the top, and you get the good stuff off the bottom. You can also put the drippings in the fridge for a little bit, let the fat solidify, and spoon it off the top.

051107089-02-fat-separator_xlg_lg.jpg

Full-largegravymaster.jpg

This is how I do it. I always foil my butts after a few hours when color is good. When I foil I put them in an aluminum pan to catch the juices. (I usually go to the oven since I am no longer smoking). I probe thru the foil till tender.Then when I open the foil I catch the excess juices in the pan. I pour the excess juice in a container. You can add as needed back after pulled or refrig the juice and separate the fat to have a nice broth to add to the meat.

You could also use a foil pan to put the butt in and then cover with foil.
I do this and you get quite a good amount of juicy goodness :thumb:

Hey Basser, a few weeks ago I posted something like that. I use a drip pan under my butts. When I remove the meat from the smoker, I pour the drippings into a container and let them sit for a bit till the fat comes to the top. I use a ladel to remove the fat leaving just the drippings behind. I then add an equal amount of apple juice (ie. if there's 4 oz. of drippings, I use 4 oz. of juice) to the drippings and pour it over the pork when I pull it. I end up with very moist and very tasty pork.
If that's not what you were looking for, then... nevermind. :p

That's the one!!!! I just fired up the WSM for a 8lb butt and gonna try it! Thanks:clap:

Back