• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why should one own so many different types of smokers?

A person can never have too many smokers. :wink:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Because it's fun to play with different types of smokers and see how the different types/cuts of meat turn out. I have a pellet, offset, ceramic, drum and charcoal. It's fun to experiment.

Let me give you an example. I have a Big Green Egg controlled by a Stoker. This morning before I left for work I put on a Pork Butt and I am monitoring the cook via the internet from my office (Stokerlog). I couldn't do that with a stick burner. However, I really like tending the fire in a stickburner and would prefer to do that if it were a Saturday afternoon and I had nothing better to do. I also just bought a drum to make a UDS so I could have something to drag around on Boy Scout campouts without fear of damaging my more expensive cookers.

But it appears that yes, different cookers work differently on different meats. Recently some people have found that they like chicken better from a vertical smoker where they can hang the chicken halves, but prefer the taste of brisket in an offset smoker. The right tool for the right job.

The best advice I can give you is master one smoker before you move on to the next.

It's more of an addiction.......same reason I have 24 Rod n Reels but I'm the only one who fishes in my household........

You got that right........... I'm in the same boat............. :grin:

I blame Craigslist. I just can't bear the thought of all those neglected, abused, and abandoned Webers and other cookers sitting out in the weather alone and afraid. Wish I felt the same way about dogs, I just don't.

As soon as I get my pellet cooker, my gasser, my new Lang, and either a Spicewine or a Stumps, I will be close to finishing my collection! :-D

It starts with a Weber kettle. You turn out some pretty darn good food, friends start showing up more often. You decide you need more capacity, especially for pork butts and briskets, so you get a WSM. Things are fine until winter when you realize a ceramic would really fit the ticket. All along you see the rave reviews about UDSs, so you find a drum and build one.

By then your spouse has lost count and you have turned into me. NTTIAWWT. :becky:

Why own so many smokers?

Because they exist! The one who dies with the most toys wins?:clap:

There was a BIG rumor of that a couple years ago but it never happened. I can't find any recent reference to this though. Is it back on, that you know?
I sent you a message about it. Not sure of the rules here. May get my hand popped. :)

Back