KAT BBQ & Smokers - any experiences?

S

SoCalBarbecue

First off, I am a new member and this is my first post. Glad to be here and please let me know if I violate any forum "ettiquette".
I am shopping for a quality smoker, and I came across a company called KAT smokers (www.katbbqsmokers.com). For the features, they seem to be a good deal and I saw a couple positive comments about them somewhere else on the web while surfing, I just can't remember where. I can't seem to find anything about them on here, has anyone had any experience with them? Know anything about the company?
Thanks.

Welcome I never heard of that Co before but I like what I see on the sight the prices are very good for what they offer except for the Vertical model. You can get 2 22" WSMs and a case or two or ribs for the same money or build an army of UDS's that have a better burn times.

I've personally never heard of them. Have you tried some Cali BBQ forums as well?

Welcome I never heard of that Co before but I like what I see on the sight the prices are very good for what they offer except for the Vertical model. You can get 2 22" WSMs and a case or two or ribs for the same money or build an army of UDS's that have a better burn times.

I was thinking either their reverse flow offset or their water smoker.

Just to give you guys some more info on the decision before me...the other options that I am weighing these guys against are (in order of interest at this point): ABS Bar-Be-Cube, Backwoods Chubby, Horizon 20" Backyard Classic, ABS All-Star.

I'll vote for Backwoods. Had the Chubby then upgraded to the Extended Party. Also had an ABS All Star, my quiver of smokers was getting too big and the wife was giving me grief. Really liked the All Star but something had to go.

ABS Bar B Cube is built like a tank and nicely finished. Got a good look at one at the KC BBQ store and saw several at the Royal. Not insulated but way heaver gauge metal than the Backwoods. Has hinged top as well as door so that it can be used as a grill if the heat deflector is removed. More capacity than the All Star.

I've had my eye on an ABS All Star for about 2 yrs I think I'm gonna put my offset out to pasture soon and that will be the repalcement sometime this winter.

I'll vote for Backwoods. Had the Chubby then upgraded to the Extended Party. Also had an ABS All Star, my quiver of smokers was getting too big and the wife was giving me grief. Really liked the All Star but something had to go.

See your in buena park....Do you know of any place in southern cali where I can see any of these on display?

forgot to mention that meadow creek sq36 - was considering that as well (it was recommended to me in terms of quality and performance, but seems to have alot less cooking space than the others I am considering.

Got anything else you need to get rid of?

Just want to give you guys an update.... I ended up getting a smoker called a smoking bull. It is made by a small new company out here in cali called california custom smokers, they arent far from me so they delivered for free. It was made to order so I was even able to have them modify some stuff for me. Everything is really solid. Im gonna put this thing in my will cause its gonna outlive me and Im only 31.
Needless to say I am really happy.
Check it out... http://www.ibuildbbqsmokers.com/products.html

California Custom Smokers

Just want to give you guys an update.... I ended up getting a smoker called a smoking bull. It is made by a small new company out here in cali called california custom smokers, they arent far from me so they delivered for free. It was made to order so I was even able to have them modify some stuff for me. Everything is really solid. Im gonna put this thing in my will cause its gonna outlive me and Im only 31.
Needless to say I am really happy.
Check it out... http://www.ibuildbbqsmokers.com/products.html

SoCalBarbecue: How's your experience with the Smoking Bull been? I live in Los Angeles and stumbled across California Custom Smokers' site last week. I would LOVE to get a good smoker and avoid $500+ in shipping fees. I like what I saw on their site but there's very little info on the web from users.

SoCalBarbecue: How's your experience with the Smoking Bull been? I live in Los Angeles and stumbled across California Custom Smokers' site last week. I would LOVE to get a good smoker and avoid $500+ in shipping fees. I like what I saw on their site but there's very little info on the web from users.

They look and read Good. I like the ICU and SmokingBull -- If they are close enough I'd go visit them. :thumb:

California Custom Smokers

They look and read Good. I like the ICU and SmokingBull -- If they are close enough I'd go visit them. :thumb:

I may just have to do that. I'm interested in the ICU. The company is about 30 min away and seeing the unit in-person would be nice. I just would like some input from users, ya know? How does the thing hold heat? What's the temps like inside the unit? Hot spots? David, from California Custom Smokers emailed me back and said this:

"Regarding time on charcoal basket - I do not have an answer for charcoal, because our smokers are more of stick burners (i use a small pile of lump charcoal in a very shallow basket to get the fire started, then I switch to wood logs or large chunks), the fire boxes are so big you can put 12-15" logs inside. You mention bbq gurus and I can tell you that I use a pitmaster iq temp regulation fan system and I have smoked brisket overnight in granada hills in november (so temps are dropping a little) and when I do, if I fill the firebox with wood, I have gone over 7 hours without stepping back outside - and I'm cooking at 200-225 during those cooks... Our smokers are very efficient, especially in warm climates, because we use 1/8" steel and everything is welded together so there is very very little heat/smoke escaping."

I'd rather hear from an actual customer's experience but, still, I like what David said here. Gonna have to pay these guys a visit. Their prices are REALLY attractive.

Back