I think I need my head examined...

toadhunter911

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For some unexplained reason, I have agreed to cook a traditional British fish and chips dinner for 40 people at church Friday evening. I have no idea how much fish to buy. I want to do cod, beer battered, about 2-3 ounce pieces. Also not sure how much potato to buy. HELP!!!

ps...at least someone else is bringing cole slaw and a big trifle for dessert. :loco:

Clarification...I am going to portion the pieces between 2 and 3 ounces...

Not sure how many pieces per serving to figure for.

Six ounces per person is a bit light. I would figure 3 3oz. pieces as a serving. 25# or a bit more should get you what you need and a little extra. Being for church, you should know the crowd a bit... if they all like to eat like I do, I would get 30# (or more) of fish.

On a side note, don't forget the malt vinegar!

Not alot of big eaters there. Talked to my fish monger, who supplies alot of churches during lent, and he recommended 20# of cod. Picking it up tomorrow.

Last i heard from you, you were cooking a mess o catfish!

Same portion sizes as then.

Last i heard from you, you were cooking a mess o catfish!

Same portion sizes as then.

Branching out Brother. New church, new tastes!:grin:

Trying something new for our monthly movie night. Last month we did a baseball movie and served hot dogs and it was a huge hit. This month's movie is an English story ("Amazing Grace"), so they want fish and chips! I have 5 table top fryers ready to go under the big hood in the church kitchen.

3 of the five fryers all set-up, circuits tested, and ready to go tomorrow.

389354_3192883312239_1570606209_32250916_1639475060_n.jpg

Fish fry was a huge hit. We had about 45 people, had a little left over, and everyone went home happy and full.

glad it worked out i'm new to this will be starting a bbq catering business in fall

what did you do with the potatoes? How much did you get? Where is the best place to get food supplies? a vendor for restaurants? cosco?
on the fryers where do you get your cooking equipment from?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Last edited by a moderator:
glad it worked out i'm new to this will be starting a bbq catering business in fall

what did you do with the potatoes? How much did you get? Where is the best place to get food supplies? a vendor for restaurants? cosco?
on the fryers where do you get your cooking equipment from?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

I went with a 30# case of steak fries from Gordons (GFS), and used 25# for the cook. They were a huge hit.

I bought the fryers from amazon.com. They are Aroma brand double friers and cost $64.88 each (free shipping with a prime account).

Since I'm just some guy cooking for the folks at church, I use GFS, Sam's, and Costco for all my supplies. However, we are considering doing this on a regular basis soon.

Next up is Creole fried chicken, red beans and rice, and collards next Friday night, and 16 butts for pulled pork and hog-apple beans for our concert/bbq Saturday.

Back