New to this Sam's thing.....

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We are headed to Dallas to cook next weekend, and I'm a Sam's contest virgin. I'm not planning to do anything different than my usual cooking-wise. Any helpful hints otherwise? Looks like Shake & Bake and I will be rolling in about noon Friday.

If it's at all like last year plan on walking a fair distance for water. You may want to fill your fresh water tank before you get there. Also, power was 20A, so AC is problematic. If it's going to be hot you may want a generator to run the AC.

My Advice

I have cooked a Sam's contest both last year and this last week in Ocala Fl. Here is what I would tell you. Bring your own water, all that you feel will be needed for the whole weekend. Bring a generator that is checked and working, I used mine for hours last year in Marrietta Ga and this year it was handy to have before they got their unit working.
The one great thing is if you forget something at least the walk is not far !!

Shake and Bake has a toyhauler that we are "sharing". I'm taking an EZ-UP, tables, etc and cooking "next door". We will fill with water when we get close. Thanks!

BTW - It's been years since I've cooked under an EZ up.

What Jeff said (great to meet you by the way, Jeff, you're more than welcome to park my trailer in St Louis)

A generator wouldn't be a bad idea if you are electric dependent. There were hiccups this weekend.

Weather forecast for Friday/Saturday is high 70's day and low 60's at night, probably won't need the AC. Scattered thunderstorms in the area Friday and Saturday with a 20% chance. Depending on where they develope, we may not get any rain. Will update as we get nearer.

Because of traffic patterns in the DFW area, it might make sense to go South on 35W to 30 and then west to get there. I know coming from Plano, I will be using the South Route.

See Ya'll there and should be there sometime Friday AM.

Mack

It would be pretty funny if Tim locked you out in the middle of the night...

:grin:

Good luck to ya both. Sounds like a blast.

Power does not come on until noon so if you want power early, bring a generator. Get there at 7:30 and grab a coffee so you are ready at8 when Troy starts setting folks up. Break down as soon as cooking is done. You can leave the trailer in the parking lot but you will have to move it to an outside corner. You can also park the trailer Thursday night.

Texans don't like sauce on brisket!

I had no issues with power last year but I'm an EZ UP guy who needs just enough for a string of lights, tunes and electric knife.

I Did have to use a Sam's basket to haul water from the backside of the store.

Depending on how its set up, you don't want to be on the outside closest to the parking area where everyone walking to Sams on Saturday seems to show up during turn in time to find out what in tarnation is going on and if they can have a taste...

I'll be arriving Friday AM as well, looking forward to meeting some of you folks from, well, "up North".

Texans don't like sauce on brisket!

The 2nd place brisket at last year's Sam's in Austin was sauced! I'm pretty sure the 1st place brisket was as well. I'm just sayin'!

Attachments

• Austin brisket.jpg
    Austin brisket.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 129
:shocked:Damnit Larry, edit your post and remove that offending picture and comment about sauce.:mmph:

Back