Speed Ribs (Rib Cook-off)

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So....it appears i am moving from NC to NorCal, have joined the CBBQA and am looking forward doing some comps out here this year.

For the first one I decided to do a little local charity rib contest called: First Annual Relay for life Backyard BBQ Rib Challenge. This is being held at Fat City Driller Supply in Stockton, CA.

Went and signed up at lunch today. Here is the cook schedule for your enjoyment.

• Cook's meeting: 8:00am (they are supplying 3 racks of ribs at this meeting to each team)
  • Start Cooking: 8:30am
  • Turn-ins: 1:00pm

:wacko:

Really?? 4.5 hours to prep & cook ribs???

So I asked the dude at the counter....how does that timelime work?

he says it's real easy. I cook ribs in my BGE at 220F for 3.5 hours, and they are real tender. :loco:

I am now wondering if they will parboil all the ribs for us beforehand....

325* for 2 hours, 1 hour in foil...you'll have all the tenderness you want.

from the ribs anyway. :becky:

325* for 2 hours, 1 hour in foil...you'll have all the tenderness you want.

from the ribs anyway. :becky:

Right...but he claimed 220F for 3.5 hours, and he teaches classes for BGE owners at the shop this too.

So I have never tried it, but if ribs are foiled the whole time...maybe you could cook a rack of ribs at 220F in 3.5 hours...maybe.

Insert curse words here____________________

Insert snarky remark about Hot & Fast and the decline of BBQ here:___________________

:biggrin1:

he says it's real easy. I cook ribs in my BGE at 220F for 3.5 hours, and they are real tender. :loco:

I am now wondering if they will parboil all the ribs for us beforehand....

Maybe they're baby backs. Still, 220F seems a little low for the timeline. I can do BB's at 250 in 3.5 hours.

Maybe they're baby backs. Still, 220F seems a little low for the timeline. I can do BB's at 250 in 3.5 hours.

Good thought...I almost ALWAYS cook spares, very rarely cook baby back ribs, as they run 4.99/lb vs the 1.99/lb for spares, and I tend to like spares better anyways.

Right...but he claimed 220F for 3.5 hours, and he teaches classes for BGE owners at the shop this too.

So I have never tried it, but if ribs are foiled the whole time...maybe you could cook a rack of ribs at 220F in 3.5 hours...maybe.

Insert curse words here____________________

Insert snarky remark about Hot & Fast and the decline of BBQ here:___________________

:biggrin1:

i love "claims".

go show 'em how it's done. :mrgreen:

Crap John. You just sucked me into commenting in the Comp section. Hope your proud. WTF is up with Moving to NorCal? Thought that was a temporary thing.

Crap John. You just sucked me into commenting in the Comp section. Hope your proud. WTF is up with Moving to NorCal? Thought that was a temporary thing.

It is "temporary"..just a little longer "temporary" than I first imagined.

It looks like 2.5 years, so I figured i should bring my stuff out, and by stuff i mean family :biggrin1:

Concord to Cali?

"I'm going back to Cali...Cali...Cali...I going back to Cali.....hmm..I don't think so."

If you've got 3.5 hours to cook them ribs @225F (with a 1 hour prep, drinking, boxing and walking to turn in added in), you may want to trim 'em as thin as possible. smoke 2 hours and foil the rest. Dunk'em in some sawce as thick as motor oil to make them look better. Finally, hope the judges eat McDonalds a lot.

Good luck!

Common sense dictates that if u grill before boiling your gonna mess up your bark?

Ahh good point.

It is an open cooker event, maybe I should just bring a pressure cooker.
Tenderize them babies up and put a nice char on the outside after.

Thanks for the help!

Ahh good point.

Thanks for the help!

That would be in keeping with Cali BBQ tradition i believe. :boxing:

Ahh good point.

Thanks for the help!

You can borrow my Crock Pot BBQ Pit if you want :becky: Just stop by on your way west :thumb:

crock-pot-bbq-pit.jpg

Sir Pork a Lot...why are you talking so much ****...man up and cook it.

Why do you spout off about par boiling and posting crap about the judges...this is your FIRST fawking contest at Fat City Grillers Supply and you don't know crap about it or who the judges are.
I know there has been a CBJ and experienced judges there as well.

It's a BACKYARD EVENT! RELAX

Instead of opening your mouth on a public forum about a place you have only been to once to sign up for a contest, take a little time to listen to them, they may have some more knowledge than you think.
If you bitch so much about it, why did you even bother signing up?

If a 14 year old can figure it out well, maybe you can.

Why do you spout off about par boiling and posting crap about the judges...this is your FIRST fawking contest at Fat City Grillers Supply and you don't know crap about it or who the judges are.

Instead of opening your mouth on a public forum about a place you have only been to once to sign up for a contest, take a little time to listen to them, they may have some more knowledge than you think.

I guess he told you!

Apparently you misread my initial post.
I am simply inquiring how your farkin Californians cook ur ribs in 4.5 hours including prep, boxing and turn-ins.

There has been some great advice from foiling to baby backs.
Your post however offers nothing of value, but thanks for playing along.

Sounds like you could use a batch of chill pills and a sense of humor.

This was all tongue in cheek, if the rules were to state 2 hours I'll produce ribs in 2 hours, makes no difference to me.
Won't stop me from making fun of it though.

There was nothing in my post regarding judges, I have no idea who is judging and don't care, I am doing this because it is for a charity
I support, it will be fun and i get
to meet some local cooks.

Hopefully I'll see you there, and maybe I can learn speed ribs from you.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back