Turning Japanese

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Grilled salmon and Miso soup with tofu and inoki mushrooms, egg rolls and pickles.
Japanesedinner.jpg

Thanks everyone!
Honorable mention to Carbon for matching Nihongo to Pron~show.:wink:

How about some details one the cook? Pictures are great, but we're all here to learn more about cooking, too.

Oh, and you used the correct hashi as well, nicely done. Yes, details so I can determine if you have actually turned Japanese or are just wearing mascara :p

Oh, and you used the correct hashi as well, nicely done. Yes, details so I can determine if you have actually turned Japanese or are just wearing mascara :p
PMSL (Ozzie for Piss Myself Laughing)
<wipes away running mascara>
Okay, glad you didn't mention that the O-hashi were not matched but I was busy with my make up and all.:becky:

How about some details one the cook? Pictures are great, but we're all here to learn more about cooking, too.
Okay. To be honest, I thought this post would sink like a stone without a response but the cooking and BBQ crowd are edumacated gourmets around here!

Let's get some info you can use.
The base stock you need is called dashi and it is a complex recipe involving seaweed called kombu.
However, like all cultures in the modern world the shop is your friend so ask at a Japanese super for instant dashi powder.
Mix a teaspoon or so in a bowl of water and you have it.(I do it to taste)
You will also need Katsuobushi, or dried shaved bonito flakes, also bought in little packets. Intense earthy fish flavour with smoky goodness, you'll like it.
Eggrolls:
Lightly beat 4 eggs with a tablespoon of dashi(if you can't be farked then tsp of soy sauce+ teaspoon of water) plus 1/2 tablespoon of castor sugar (powder form)and pour a little into a skillet that you have wiped with a paper towel doused in cooking oil.
Thin layer, and as it sets fold the egg in steps till it is a log.
Leaving it there, pour another layer of egg into the pan and let it oin the log, repeat by rolling the log back over the new egg as it set.
Repeat until all the egg is used up and you will have a nice egg roll.
Slice, and mayo and soy goes great on this.
Miso.
Buy a paste from the super, choose whiter for a milder flavour and darker red brown for stronger.
I recommend cutting your teeth on the lighter ones.
I was taught by an old Japanese master who said that Miso is alive, it contains living enzymes so to kill the soup add it to boiling water.
What that means is the soup must be made with water below boiling, if it boils it is ruined.
I have only met a few Japanese cooks who know that.
I boil the dashi and add some cold to drop the temp, then take a tablespoon of miso paste and using the back of the spoon squeeze it through a seive into the water.You will see the miso move like clouds in the liquid, all of it's own accord. Amazing.
repeat, tasting, until you get that savory salty taste.
You can add cubes of soft tofu, scallion, katsuobushi, pork shredded leftovers, bacon,crab,potato, daikon, and especially good is wakame(Japanese super again)
I steamed broccolini and dressed with black sesame seeds.
The salmon you guys all know how to grill or fry, crispy skin please!
Salt it, lay it, wipe it dry and skin side down first.
The white pile are tiny fish bought at the super, crunchy!
Is this okay?

Hey Bucc, a little more about making dashi and miso soup.

1. Steep the katsuoboshi, in water around 180F, for about 15 minutes. Any more and it turns overly cloudy and over-extracts proteins. Do not boil.

2. The konbu is best in a large sheet, also steep, but, do so prior to katsuoboshi.

3. Test for salt, keep testing for salt.

4. There are many types of miso, the best for soup is a 3/1 blend of shiro and aka miso. The red (aka) has more depth of flavor, but is very salty, the white is fresher and lighter, but, lacks depth.

5. Add the miso after you turn off the soup. It granulates and becomes rather harsh if kept over heat for any length of time. Also, quality of miso matters, the better stuff is finer and does not sediment up.

Now, I make a miso soup that really rocks, I first tried something like this while dining with JD McGee in Napa, I use the bone from a smoked pork butt, the trimmings from either the pork or a brisket and use a hard boil to prepare the water for the soup, prior to starting the konbu and katsoboshi process. This creates a what is called a milk broth, it is very good once you add the other stuff. You want it just smokey and porky enough for a hint of taste before adding the konbu. I like to add a little fish sauce (I use Red Boat of course) when finishing the soup for a little more umami.

Matching hashi makes the food taste better, but, you are Australian, so I was gonna let it go :p

Great stuff landarc, useful for westerners too.
PMSL @ Australian
BTW 'matching hashi'
hashi = bridge.
O-Hashi = chopsticks;)

I didn't approach the process of making dashi with kelp, if anyone requests we could do a thread together and show the whole process.
There is much more we haven't touched on, like never allowing the Kombu to boil but put it in a pot of COLD water and using a thermometer, get the kombu out prior to the water boiling.
The process you use for the stock is one used in Shirumono perhaps, but is exactly what we do to make ramen. (oooooh, I LOVE ramen)
Japanese misoshiru is a light soup and as you know, our western palates simply can't taste to full appreciation the incredibly subtle tastes that are revered in Japanese food, it takes years to adapt.

I have to disagree about your idea of mixed paste is best for miso soup.
Each area in Japan has different preferences and I like most of them, so depends what I feel like and the day.They are all great, except pure dark Tokyo style.
Not for me. I don't think there is a 'best', it is all subjective I reckon.

Buddy, I also am amazed that you need Nam Pla to get the umami effect.
Kombu has over 3 times the amount of umami(MG) that Nam Pla has?
Why dont you try making the dashi based on sardines?
It is a classic Japanese miso and really delicious, give it a go!
Looking forward to sharing ideas and knwledge landarc

ps. sorry but dunno JD @Napa?

:clap2:Nicely done! I presume this is/was a TD entry? If yes, then the bar has been raised, for sure.

I learned to make dashi with various dried seafood, I actually prefer a really good katsuoboshi. I think the fish sauce adds dimension, different proteins add or subtract from the profile in different ways. I would not discount fish sauce, it is also made in Japan and is a common additive in certain regions of Japan. It is almost never mentioned outside of those regions. My family does not add the O to Ohashi any more, family slang I suppose, we just call them hashi.

Back