View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprfast View Post
I really think you generalized this. Limiting or controlling the oxidizing agent(oxygen as it was referred to) is only part of the equation. The density of the fuel(charcoal) is another part of the equation. You can burn at the same temp but it would last for a different rate, vice versa. Simple BBQ math would also assume that too much oxygen without adequate room for the carbon monoxide to exit would cause the smoldering to cease. Like i said, i think you generalized and left quite a few steps out, as i have too generalized.

I know my lump/briquette tests were pretty generalized as well. But IMHO the UDS is a controlled enough system that the lump lasts much longer than you would expect it to.

Lump is cheap, light weight, burns cleaner, and generally lasts as long as briquettes in my UDS. If I needed a longer cook than 12 hours I probably would use briquettes, otherwise I'm using lump.

For an $8.00 Wal-mart Royal Oak Lump purchase you can test it yourself on the cheap and notice the difference first hand.