OK, I get it now

tjus77

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I judged my first competition this weekend. I now get why presentation should be part of the score. I actually had some outstanding food that was presented like it was fast food. But I also saw some awesome looking food that tasted aweful or had no taste at all. I kinda figured if you are in a competition you will at least make a healthy try at making it look good.

I do have to say, it was alot of fun and all but one entry I tasted was more than edible. The last entry in seafood (which was last night's throw down) was awful. When I opened the container, a person was walking up on the table and I thought the smell had to be coming from THAT person (maybe he stepped in some old mop water). I sniffed again... OMG it was the seafood dish. I couldn't even taste it, it even looked like it was scooped out of a mop bucket.

TJ

So tell us about how you used presentation to mark up or down the scores...

well the highest score I gave was a 9. great presentation and great taste... almost a 10. On two that just didn't even try and had a great product, I gave both a 6, probably would have given them an 8 if their presentation was good, 7 if they had at least tried. Soooo, I guess I was 2-3 points for presentation.

Now on brisket I probably added 1-2 points for presentation, ribs also. Just about everyone had about the same presentation on brisket, none that were just thrown in there at my table. Only had one box of ribs that were just a mess in my opinion.

What kind of contest was this? I am used to KCBS ans FBA where presentation gets its own score. Just curious.

Tx Gulf Coast BBQ Cookers Assoc. They have a 1-10 scoring for overall. But the decision should be made on presentation, aroma, taste and overall opinion.

ok, I wasn't familiar with that. I do get your point. Even in FBA, KCBS, etc. where the points are separated into different categories, I do think that if food looks good, we will think it tastes good, and vice versa.

Back