• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

*** 2019 Chicago Area Brethren Summer Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :) - Saturday, August 3, 2019

You coming?

I can't commit Ron due to some health reasons so I wouldn't count on me being there. I will say if by then I'm still able I'll be there.

Would love to meet all you fine folks!

I see we have a few out of state Brethren besides Pyle in the sign up/maybe column.

If we can solidify these numbers sooner rather than later, we can try and have a Friday and/or Sunday morning to make it worth the while.

These are my tentative plans: Looking at arriving Thursday to have a free day to play tourist. Greg mentioned having good luck with Airbnb so might do that instead of hotel. Will do Uber/Lyft vs renting a car and will be heading back Sunday evening.

I can't commit Ron due to some health reasons so I wouldn't count on me being there. I will say if by then I'm still able I'll be there.

Would love to meet all you fine folks!

I understand Norm, and your health is the most important thing!

My comment was actually for Tom šŸ˜ƒ

These are my tentative plans: Looking at arriving Thursday to have a free day to play tourist. Greg mentioned having good luck with Airbnb so might do that instead of hotel. Will do Uber/Lyft vs renting a car and will be heading back Sunday evening.
You staying downtown? In the City? Burbs? Several of the above?

Stay away from the far south & west sides of the city!!! John Hancock has a better view than the Sears Tower. Millennium Park is touristy. Original Billy Goat Tavern for Cheeseborger, cheeseborger, cheeseborger.. as seen on SNL, Lower Michigan Avenue. Pizzeria Uno or Due downtown for the original Chicago Deep Dish pizza if you are so inclined. Or Lou Malinati's. Us Chicagoan's actually eat tavern style thin crust.

But as Bill-Chicago mentioned, we should get together and do something.

Andy-
Haven't decided about lodging location. Figure will do so closer to the bash when I find out other people's plans. Gonna fly into Midway because I have enough SW points to get a free one way flight.

You staying downtown? In the City? Burbs? Several of the above?

Stay away from the far south & west sides of the city!!! John Hancock has a better view than the Sears Tower. Millennium Park is touristy. Original Billy Goat Tavern for Cheeseborger, cheeseborger, cheeseborger.. as seen on SNL, Lower Michigan Avenue. Pizzeria Uno or Due downtown for the original Chicago Deep Dish pizza if you are so inclined. Or Lou Malinati's. Us Chicagoan's actually eat tavern style thin crust.

But as Bill-Chicago mentioned, we should get together and do something.

Malort drinking contest?!?:laugh:

mod.gif
Just 56 Days
till the 2019 Chicago BBQ Brethren Bash!
mod.gif

(Channeling my inner Hotch).

My latest love is pork belly. I'm thinking about that. Pork belly burnt ends? Would folks like that?

Another option is something like a cobbler in a Dutch oven. Not strictly smoking but pretty good. Especially if I can keep some ice cream cold enough to go along with it.

My latest love is pork belly. I'm thinking about that. Pork belly burnt ends? Would folks like that?

Another option is something like a cobbler in a Dutch oven. Not strictly smoking but pretty good. Especially if I can keep some ice cream cold enough to go along with it.

Anyone who doesnā€™t like pork belly burnt ends should be keel-hauled :-D

Another yes for pork belly burnt ends (and not just to avoid having my keel hauled or my haul keeled).

My default is the BBQ sticks, of course.

Will see if I can get the Blackstone going by then.
Pork shoulders are $1.49# at Meijer.

14# of Filipino BBQ sticks is near 60 of them I recon.

Come hungry!

Let me know if you need a Blackstone, I can bring my 28.

Still don't know what to bring. Thinking maybe Candied Salmon, just saw an awesome looking recipe. Or maybe sausages from Wurst Kitchen in Aurora. Thanks for turning me onto them BTW. And I won't make the F-Bombs like I did for the STL Bash last year. Those were Fricking insanely hot! Or I just might make a Tri Tip again. And I did run across a recipe for cheese curd stuffed meatballs that sounded interesting.

Anyone have a preference?

And I might have a few more people from work that might show up. Told them to let me know in the next few weeks.

Anyone who doesnā€™t like pork belly burnt ends should be keel-hauled :-D

Another yes for pork belly burnt ends (and not just to avoid having my keel hauled or my haul keeled).

Ah... I hope I didn't let my excitement get ahead of me. It occurs to me that I've offered to make something for an audience who knows like no other how good these can be and it will immediately be obvious to them if I miss the mark.

I've learned in the past that the key to doing anything well is to practice. I'll start today with a pork belly and see how that goes. ;) I would hate to learn from mistakes in August.

Do we have a page somewhere that lists what folks like myself have foolishly volunteered to bring? That would be useful for planning. Unless we plan an ad-hoc competition, it would be nice to have folks bring different things rather have a dozen or so bring ribs (or something popular like that.)

Ah... I hope I didn't let my excitement get ahead of me. It occurs to me that I've offered to make something for an audience who knows like no other how good these can be and it will immediately be obvious to them if I miss the mark.

I've learned in the past that the key to doing anything well is to practice. I'll start today with a pork belly and see how that goes. ;) I would hate to learn from mistakes in August.

Do we have a page somewhere that lists what folks like myself have foolishly volunteered to bring? That would be useful for planning. Unless we plan an ad-hoc competition, it would be nice to have folks bring different things rather have a dozen or so bring ribs (or something popular like that.)

We don't judge. I tend to try something new each year. That is half the fun!

As far as when folks are bringing, check out the sign up sheet link in my signature.

In fact, EVERYONE should check it out and update it! :thumb:

Signup link is in Ron's signature. But here it is. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QpuiFbw7AdXakRad47FeSE1tUU5ZAoyrszXcLwQSMzA/edit?usp=sharing

We usually have a nice variety of food items and don't worry about how it comes out. The main reason for getting together is to have fun. But I think that may be one of the problems why people don't want to come out for these bashes, they're afraid they'll be judged if something doesn't come out fantastic. Which is where they'd be wrong. We could care less how it turns out, so you got distracted talking to someone while having a beer and your ribs over cooked. Oh well, we'll just have "fall of the bone tender" ribs. Chicken got burnt, scrape off the burnt part and feed it to us.

When I was at the Texas Bash last fall, there we're people coming and going all day long. Some just popped in to say hey, some brought side dishes already cooked, some just showed up to eat. It was a blast and I hope to make it down there again this fall.

Back