Interesting Article About MSG

I love konbu. In fact, I just had an incredible soup that I believe was a combination of konbu, katsuoboshi and tonkotsu, loaded with glutamates. Sea algae, dried bonito and pork broth. Yum!

Why doesn't everyone in Asia have headaches?

Same reason every Mexican in Mexico doesn't have the fiery diarrhea, over times the digestive systems of the people of a geographic location becomes accustomed to the local food.

MSG Hype

My Doctor says all the hype about MSG unfounded. yes, a few are alergic but most aren't. To cut down on sodium, use msg to enhance flavor. You can get it at most Asian stores for about two bucks for a pound. Or just by a 6 OZ Accent at your local market for twice that amount...

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. I certainly learned a lot.

Good read - thanks for the info! I've been trying different combinations of "naturally occurring" glutamates as a brisket soak and it seems to add a little something.

I went to that Ramen Museum back in 1997. It was pretty cool.:becky:
I never had any issues with all the MSG I am sure I ingested during my 6 years in Japan...:yawn:

Good read! as far as MSG and Headaches unfounded?
I would disagree, but thats MHO...
My wife suffers from Migraines, severe, painful, flat on her back, in tears, for 3 days at a time migraines.
She's stopped eating foods with MSG-monosodium glutament, anything with MSG on the lable, which is in a LOT of packaged foods, believe me...
Her migraines in the last 2 years have gotten 80% less! I wish I knew for sure if its the MSG, its a pain to read lables, but if its stopping her from getting her migraines we'll continue.

I have read that some places in Asia use MSG to kill dogs they use for food. But, I don't eat dogs. I have never noticed a problem from using MSG laden rubs or other foods with it either. YMMV.

I use "naturally occurring " glutamates as my secret flavor ingredient when making eastern style NC vinegar sauce . I use fish sauce , which is high in glutamates , in place some of the salt in the recipe . To replace a TBL spoon of salt , just use a TBL spoon of fish sauce . The vinegar sauce will not have a fishy taste .

I wonder if I put MSG on my rabbit food it will taste better.

if its stopping her from getting her migraines we'll continue.

Also have her avoid: powdered milk, low fat milk products (1% & 2% milk), cheese (especially Parmesan), hot dogs, baked goods, anything with soy protein, ripe tomatoes, mushrooms, most all fast food places, anywhere french fries are served, Caesar salads, soy sauce, canned food, diet soft drinks, and anything else containing the artificial sweetener Aspartame (ie: chewing gum, children's meds, quick dissolve meds, and chewable vitamins).

That will be a good start to ridding glutamate from her diet. Research it...naturally occurring glutamate is all around us. If you eat, it is part of your diet.

The Umami factor. Some people can taste it and some can't.

LOL I was raised in Yokohama, Japan. Interesting article though... but there will always be conflict with this one just like what came first the chicken or the egg? My mom being Korean does use some in her cooking on very rare occasions because of the underlying possible side effects (headache, swelling). After a little of reading and research of my own and that fact that MSG basically, a excitotoxin can aggravate diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's...no thanks. For Pete's sake we do not use specific Johnson and Johnson soaps on our son because they contain parabens which are known to be possible carcinogens.

The Food Channel did a show on MSG one time. I want to say there were 50 people test on site at the same time. 25 got MSG in their food an 25 didn't. There was a lady that was saying I got the MSG my head hurts it always hurts with MSG I know that I was given it. Well she was one of the 25 who didn't get MSG. I'm not saying people don't headaches, I'm just saying.

The links to neuro-degenerative conditions is far from proven and in fact, most medical papers suggest it is only a theoretical possibility. Further, the term excititoxin was coined specific to the argument that MSG and Aspartame are bad for people to eat. The interesting thing is that the two chemicals do not share a common chemical formulation and the only reason they are lumped together is that they are both considered to be exciting to the neurotransmitters in the human taste system.

All that being said, I am a believer that we should all eat what we choose and should not be forced to believe that one dietary belief is superior to another. The basic chemical formulation of glutamate has been a part of my families diet for a very long time, spanning my families entire history, being that we have eaten high glutamate foods for as long as Japanese have eaten food from the sea. Like fat, sugar and alcohol, I choose to partake, but, recognize that too much of any of that will kill a person.

Just wait...it won't be long before they tell us we need more MSG in our diets.

Back