What I did with Rib Trimmings

GEORGIA BULLHAWGS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had to cook for 130 people last week. The main BBQ was ribs, and the rest was a few butts and briskets. I decided to take the cut off meat where i cut the ribs into St. Louise Style ribs and make sausage.

Below is a picture story.

Started with the cook of the ribs that yielded the meat.
3smokin.jpg

They turned out great, total of 36 racks.
cookingonthechurchBubbagrill.jpg

I then took the trimmings and filleted them out. removed all skin and grissol. It yielded about 30 lbs of meat
filleted.jpg

I then made up my seasoning mixture and added all meat into one of my large stock parts, and mixed it up well.

marinating.jpg

I then used my old fashioned hand grinder, and it took me about 45 minutes to do it all. I will be investing into a decent electric one in the future. (Any suggestions?) Also, you can see the jerky gun that i used to stuff the casings with. ANother pain that the electric grinder will take care off.

aftergrinding.jpg

The finished product that will be going on the smoker to "cold" smoke this afternoon.
About 40 1/4 pound sausage patties and about 20 lbs of link sausage.

finishedproduct.jpg

Stocking up the freezer when done. This was free to me since the company paid for all the meat, i only covered for the spices.

Looks great. Did you add any fat to the trimmings? I have tried this before and found it dried out too much.

Looks great. Did you add any fat to the trimmings? I have tried this before and found it dried out too much.

No added fat. Last time i did this, I did not add any fat, as pork is naturally a fat meat. When i cold smoke the meat, I don't get it very hot at all, so none of the fat renders out of it. I don't like a "fatty" dripping sausage, but this is still nice and moist.

Good go Bro.

Man those would even be in beans at your next Cater:doh:event.
I absolutely love heavly smoked Tips in a pot of Pinto Beans,pure heaven:p,Oh,and some good Garlic and Onions:-D

Looks great. I can't imagine the amount of effort to trim all those rib tips.

Man those would even be in beans at your next Cater:doh:event.
I absolutely love heavly smoked Tips in a pot of Pinto Beans,pure heaven:p,Oh,and some good Garlic and Onions:-D

Nah, When i do something like this, I only do the meat for them. I get the pleasure of having sausage supply for the next few months now. :thumb:

Looks great! I didn't realize you were doing all that grinding and stuffing by hand!! I have a KitchenAid mixer with the grinder and stuffing attachements that work pretty good for me.

Wow, I could go for a sausage sammich, everything looks great!

Made some breakfast sausage out of the last rib prep. The boss loved it!

Back