First pizza on the kettle...pron

Drifter

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This was my first try at grilling pizza, I was happy with the way it turned out even though I used canned pizza crust and ready made sauce because I was in a hurry. I wound up with 4 pizzas-one grilled chicken with roasted peppers, another grilled chicken with peppers and Italian sausage, one sausage and pepperoni, and one cheese, for the kiddo!!
They turned out well, but my biggest concern was not busting the pizza stone. I preheated it in the oven then put it on the grill. I also put an aluminum pan over the coals so the stone wouldn't be exposed to direct heat. Seemed to work pretty well, except the edges got done way before the center. Could the pan I placed over the coals have let the stone "cool off" in the center? What are some of ya'lls experiences with pizza stones??

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 209
looks mighty tasty. I have no advice on the stone, though.

Nice job on the pizzas. How long did you let the stone heat up? It takes a long time for a pizza stone to heat up, especially the better thick ones. I would wonder if you did not get the center of the stone heated enough before putting the pizzas on.

IMHO the pan acted as a diffuser and turned your kettle into a semi oven with convective heat. The stone you are using looks to be heavy duty so I think your set up is pretty darn good. I would actually be surprised if the center of the stone had a cold spot. Those stones absorb heat pretty well and uniformly.

How long did you let the stone heat up?
It was in the oven at 400 degrees for probably 45 minutes or more. I oiled it and was trying to season it some before I used it. It is a new one from BB&B $20.00, probably about 3/8" thick. I believe Oneida is the brand.

Okay, I stand corrected. For some reason the stone looked to be almost a half an inch thick. My eyes must be deceiving me. You may have some issues with a 3/8 inch thick stone. I have shattered stones in the past. What I did was purchase a bunch of fire bricks, put them on a grate directly above the coals and put the pizza stone on top of the fire bricks. Worked out very well for me. I bought a box of 6 from Ace Hardware for around $20. But most brick/stone supply centers probably sell them for around a buck each.

Looks great.. I use a round Oneida stone and I bank the coals on one side and cook indirect because I'm afraid of cracking the stone as well, even though I heat it up in the oven to 425..

Looks tasty. Add MORE beer and you've got breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

Thatsa nice lookin Pie you got there, bet it was nice and tasty too...

It should not make a difference since you heated the stone up as long as you did. I bank my coals to the side, as Blackened suggested, that might help.

Okay, I stand corrected. For some reason the stone looked to be almost a half an inch thick. My eyes must be deceiving me. You may have some issues with a 3/8 inch thick stone. I have shattered stones in the past. What I did was purchase a bunch of fire bricks, put them on a grate directly above the coals and put the pizza stone on top of the fire bricks. Worked out very well for me. I bought a box of 6 from Ace Hardware for around $20. But most brick/stone supply centers probably sell them for around a buck each.
I thought about that idea with the fire bricks I just didn' know if that would be too thick to get the heat to the stone. But if it works for you I think I will invest a couple of bucks in some bricks and give it a try. Thanks for all the tips so far everyone, and so fast!!:biggrin:

I've seen some folks on another board have great results with one of these Lodge CI pizza pans on their kettle and I am buying one before I do another pizza. My wife cracked the stone I had by not preheating it in the oven first :( (rookies.)

31nXLYjHn-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've seen some folks on another board have great results with one of these Lodge CI pizza pans on their kettle and I am buying one before I do another pizza. My wife cracked the stone I had by not preheating it in the oven first :( (rookies.)

31nXLYjHn-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
I like the looks of this pan. I'll have to see if I can find one of these!!

Back