• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberQ II networking question

Jus10

Reaction score
Just received a CyberQ II and am currently trying to figure out the best way to connect it to my computer via wireless USB. My smokers only about 6 feet from where my laptop usually is, but I don't want a cord running through our patio door. I've ran across a few devices like this Amazon.com: Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station 34779: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31cMZMpnvdL.@@AMEPARAM@@31cMZMpnvdL. It works with printers, so I thought it might work with the CyberQ :noidea:. Thought I'd check on here while I wait feedback from the Gurus.

Please let me know if you have a wireless method that works well. Thanks in advance.

Bumpity... bump ..bump :redface: It sounds like it would work I don't have one but doesn't the CyberQ have a usb port?

EDIT sorry I see it does:becky:

I went ahead and ordered through Staples, so it's an easy return if it doesn't work the way it should.

I'd be interested to see if that works for you. I'm looking to order a CyberQ II shortly

pwa

I'd be interested to see if that works for you. I'm looking to order a CyberQ II shortly

pwa

I should get it today and play with it this weekend. From the description, it seems like the data station is given a website that you can access whatever is plugged into it. That would be nice. I'll let you know what happens.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Update: The Iomega doesn't recognize the CyberQ, but it is pretty slick for storing data and being able to retrieve it via the web. I'm going to be returning it though and trying a normal wireless usb hub.

BTW, the CyberQ is fantastic, no buyers remorse on that whatsoever.

I've never used one, but if it is a network issue and you need help, send me a PM and I can help you out.:becky:

Had one when I was a dealer could never get to work wirelessly their tech dept was no help. Not sure if they ever worked the bugs out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So does the IOMEGA device:
Connect to the network?
Work with ANY other USB devices?

So does the IOMEGA device:
Connect to the network?
Work with ANY other USB devices?

Yes, on both questions. Plugged in two flash drives and I was able to go through my network to retrieve the files on both those drives. The Iomega iConnect just doesn't recognize the CyberQ. It will recognize storage devices and printers, this is neither.

Well... If you have connectivity with other devices the ports are good on the iOmega and the network connection is good.

Have you tried updating firmware for the device?
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/cust_alp/p/1031,1074

Does the CyberQ II connect ok directly plugged into your laptop?

Is there updated firmware for the CyberQ?

By chance do you have another USB cable to plug the CyberQ into the iOmega? Sometimes cables can be picky about what devices they like.

I am assuming you want to be able to monitor/manager the CyberQ remotely correct?
If so, do you have an old laptop available?
If yes, you could put the old laptop outside weather protected (i.e. in a dry cooler) near the smoker and run the CyberQ off that. As long as both laptops are on the same subnet (wifi), you could run VNC or something to remotely view/control the old laptop that is controlling the CyberQ. They you kick back with an adult beverage, watching the game, while smoking some [insert tasty meats & other goodies] all while being warm and cozy indoors. With this option, you could return the iOmega to the store. Heck Craigslist might even have a used laptop for $50 in your area. I know this may not be what you initially intended, but if there is some kind of a driver compatibility issue with the CyberQ, it may be difficult to find the right device (iOmega and the like) that will work for you.

USB is great most times but sometimes it just sucks...

Also, the CyberQ, is there a list of compatible devices they recommend? You surely can not be the first to think of this issue.

-Paul

Thanks Paul,
I tried to answer most of your questions below. Although, I haven't achieved the wireless connection, the CyberQ is still great. My smoker is actually close enough that I was able to use the provided usb cable to reach my laptop. I just had to set the laptop lower to where the kids are tempted to play with it, not ideal.

Well... If you have connectivity with other devices the ports are good on the iOmega and the network connection is good.

Have you tried updating firmware for the device? Nope, didn't take the time to do that.
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/cust_alp/p/1031,1074

Does the CyberQ II connect ok directly plugged into your laptop? Yes, it worked great, no issues at all.

Is there updated firmware for the CyberQ? Not sure

By chance do you have another USB cable to plug the CyberQ into the iOmega? Sometimes cables can be picky about what devices they like. Didn't try a different cable

I am assuming you want to be able to monitor/manager the CyberQ remotely correct? Yes, that would be a plus
If so, do you have an old laptop available? I do, I just need a new hard drive/OS and wifi capabilities, haven't looked into the cost.
If yes, you could put the old laptop outside weather protected (i.e. in a dry cooler) near the smoker and run the CyberQ off that. As long as both laptops are on the same subnet (wifi), you could run VNC or something to remotely view/control the old laptop that is controlling the CyberQ. I have seen a set-up similar to this. They you kick back with an adult beverage, watching the game, while smoking some [insert tasty meats & other goodies] all while being warm and cozy indoors. With this option, you could return the iOmega to the store. Heck Craigslist might even have a used laptop for $50 in your area. I know this may not be what you initially intended, but if there is some kind of a driver compatibility issue with the CyberQ, it may be difficult to find the right device (iOmega and the like) that will work for you.

USB is great most times but sometimes it just sucks...

Also, the CyberQ, is there a list of compatible devices they recommend? I found a list of one wireless USB hub that the BBQ Guys do NOT recommend. I've sent an e-mail to BBQ GURU asking for advice and if they knew of compatible devices, a week or so later and no reply. You surely can not be the first to think of this issue.

-Paul

Well, I had a long reply typed up, went and re-read the first post and I misunderstood your problem. In regards to wireless USB hubs if it requires an IP make sure its on the same subnet/network range as your laptop. If its not they will not be able to pass traffic. I have never heard of IOgear but I do know Belkin also makes a wireless USB hub, maybe you would have better luck with it? The Belkin wireless AP's work pretty well.

every wireless USB hub I have tried does NOT work with the cyberq...the signal would drop when it had direct line of sight within 10 feet...forget about going through walls. It is a flawed system imo. I currently run a 33ft USB out to my cooker and it works well

Rumor has it that BBQ guy will be bringing out a "new" WiFi model after the 1st of the year. Kinda of a CyberQ II updated unit. I'm waiting to see if that happens in hopes of not going through all the above,,,,

Back