• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your thoughts on bark

The ribs picture above are exactly what I am talking about... I would be saying... THIS IS NOT RIGHT with my mouth full of that Rib... LOL

I am a closet sauce and glaze lover.

Great ring on that farkin rib man

Look at the pic taken from the link my Texas brother from Vermont Posted.

Read my def, then go to the link and read how he wrote it tastes...spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'm wondering what everyone thinks about what makes for a really good bark."

Brown Sugar...:p

...how come you dance so good! :lol::lol::lol: I'm a big fan of brown sugar on my butts...but I tend to go with raw sugar for my briskets. :p

LOL NO Brown Sugar... Only white sugar mixed with Molassas allowed. :eusa_clap

The texas brisket crust isn't sweet. It is very savory from the salt and cracked black pepper in the rub. The primary flavor comes from the deeply penetrating post oak smoke.

Fark, now I need me some brisket.

The texas brisket crust isn't sweet. It is very savory from the salt and cracked black pepper in the rub. The primary flavor comes from the deeply penetrating post oak smoke.

Fark, now I need me some brisket.

lol WHEN YOUR RIGHT YOU'RE RIGHT

I was trying to make a rub similar to Tx BBQ Rub on my last cook and used lots and lots of brown sugar. I smoked four butts low and slow with no foil until they came of the wsm. The end result was a " for the most part " burnt bark.

The bark looked right but it was hard as a rock over half of the surface area. It was like jerky on the outside. The sugar was burnt. No question about it and it burnt below 250 deg.

Good bark should be firm on the outside but bite thru tender at the same time.

Like a warm M&M.

Texans don't really do pork butt. That was something those southern boys did... and thank god they did... its good!

I mean Texas is more noted for its brisket. The Butts came from the south.

That's a really good questions about what a good bark is. I guess you knwo when you eat it! It doesn't matter if it's crunchy or simply firm if it doesn't taste good. Looks would be important too I guess.

Dang, this may be harder to do than I thought.

I suppose what I was thinking, was a good tasting, firm bark that stood out. I ahve had some "crystalline" type bark like barbefunkoramaque mentioned. It's not crunchy, but firm, flavorful with extra-flavorful crystalline "bits". I really enjoyed that bark, but I suppose it does not have to be crystalline to be good.

Damn, now it's turning too subjective.:mad:

That's it! I'll wait and see which one makes women squirm!:biggrin: If someone is making out with the meat, it's a sure winner.:wink:

My job sucks! I can't even look at BBQ pics on the computer, the pics are blocked. I have to wait until I get home. Man the pics looks great.

Looking back at Chris' original post (quoted here), there seems to actually be two questions begging for answers! First, we need to come to a consensus as to what defines a "good" bark, then we can argue about how to make it!!!

:mrgreen::confused::mrgreen:

JimT

You are right. Even though I posted on how to get a good bark, I personally don't like a heavy bark. I actually stop the bark generation (by wrapping)not too long after it begins, leaving a thin, tender bark. I think the definition of what a good bark is depends on the persons preference in many ways. That's not a cop out I promise. :rolleyes:

I'm just going to leave it at what tastes best, and only worry about texture if it seems to not have a good texture.

Back