Smoking Cheese

Norm

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We have been getting cooler overnight here so decided to try my hand at smoking some cheese. I used my large bge with just a couple of pieces of lump lit up and then covered in apple chips. Got tons of smoke without raising the temp much.

Here's what they cheese looked like after two hours of smoking.

i-sVLMB6X-M.jpg

Brought it inside and put the cheese into foodsaver bags to cure for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
i-9DJ44Pc-M.jpg

First time I've tried this so hopefully it turned out ok.

Looks good, I made my first smoked Cheese a few weeks ago on my UDS with a attached 15 foot dryer vent going to tubberware container with drying racks. It turned out awesome. I did mine with Cherry and apple and for 3 hours.

Looks good! I have some white cheddar smoking with alder wood in my cold smoker right now.

Well, when I do mine..(the last time was 25 lbs of Morel Mushroon and Leek Jack cheese).....
I use alder ( dry, mild smoke).
I chunk the cheese, and wrap in cheese cloth (keeps it clean)...then...
start a fire in the distant end of the firebox ( I have a BKSD)...10 lit briquettes..no more..
add your flavor wood..and hang the cheese...never let the smoke chamber get above 80-85.
Smoke for 30 min....remove cheese, let cool. Bag it up..freeze or into the 'fridge. It'll mellow, but there will still be the same amount of smoke, just not as harsh..freeze or vaccusuck or what ever...and now you don't have to buy presents fer your in-laws...
(it's seriously good, just don't give it too much, and keep the temp down (less than 90, always!)

BTW a wheel is @25 lbs..chunk into 1/4-1/2 lbs...it's a full smoker load, w/very little heat
(even in the summer), and it takes smoke very easily.

Last edited:
Looks good my friend. I am looking forward to smoking my first batch of the year. I still use my Egg but use an electric can cold smoke generator.

I really like pecan wood for cold smoking cheese.....Every few months I do about 15 pounds of velveeta and a few pounds of cheddar-- I like to do milder cheeses. People are shocked by how the smoke classes up the velveeta and it makes a killer smoked mac and cheese base.....and will do just fine mingling in a group on a cheese platter with wine or cocktails...

Ya gotta love smoked cheese! Smoke it, vacu-suck it and it'll stay good for months in the fridge (not that you won't eat it all before then :rolleyes:).

I really like pecan wood for cold smoking cheese.....Every few months I do about 15 pounds of velveeta and a few pounds of cheddar-- I like to do milder cheeses. People are shocked by how the smoke classes up the velveeta and it makes a killer smoked mac and cheese base.....and will do just fine mingling in a group on a cheese platter with wine or cocktails...

+1 on the pecan wood for cheese. If you like the pecan wood try pecan shells. It is a lot of work to remove the pecan meat from the shells but it is a great flavor that I've used with cheese and pork butt.

+1 on the pecan wood for cheese. If you like the pecan wood try pecan shells.

Heck, yeah, the shells are great. There was a guy in Georgia that sold me some shells a few years ago via mail order, but he has since disappeared. That was great while it lasted....:rolleyes:

Heck, yeah, the shells are great. There was a guy in Georgia that sold me some shells a few years ago via mail order, but he has since disappeared. That was great while it lasted....:rolleyes:

Millican Pecan Company in San Saba, TX sells bags of shells last I knew. :thumb:

Back