Which tree should I plant for smoking wood?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am interested in buying this home that doesn't currently have any trees. If I were to buy it, which trees should I plant?

I want a tree that grows as fast as possible for harvesting of limbs for smoking! :razz: (Yes, I understand it's going to be years before I'll have any wood but I plan on living at the same home the rest of my life which is a good 40 more years.)

This is in northeast Oklahoma.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I would look into the oaks that grow there. Live Oak I just read is only good for centeral and southern OK. But just read this as well:
Oaks

Oak is great. If you area supports peach and apple I would grow them too. You get fruit and wood for smoking.

You may be able to get some fruit trees growing fast enough to start trimming some limbs. Any tree is going to take a few years to have any amount of cooking wood without loosing the tree.

what he heck, you have no trees from? did hey tornado wipe them out? if so, you may lose your grill, sorry weather can be a bitch for outdoor cooking but far better than inside like that guy from arrowsmith.
sdont plant any pine trees because they burn too wet and smoky, but not the good smoky, and theyire roots are shallow so they;kk fall over and crucnk youp roof
i suggest oak, but i THINK that they take a LONG time to grow, so don't hold your beath, I guess plant them anyway, they are STONG trees with good roots can maybe withstand tornado unlike your other weak trees

Maple is one of the faster growing hardwoods that come to mind. They're kind of trash trees but while you are waiting for oak, hickory and or pecan to get big enough to provide some trimmings you will get some wood.

I'm presuming that you are looking for a few chunks to add to charcoal in something like a UDS or WSM. If you're looking for enough wood to stoke a stick burner, I hope you have some few acres to grow trees!

Keep an eye on CL in the area you plan to move. I see firewood coming up a lot 'round here, some of which is oak or maple. I would also contact arborists or tree companies in the area to see what opportunities exist, it any, to pick up free wood. Construction companies that clear logs might also be a good source.

Use the fruit trees as a crop meaning line them up. Any oaks, maple, etc... use as property boarders or as featured trees, like in a court yard. But definitely plant a variety....

I would look into the oaks that grow there. Live Oak I just read is only good for centeral and southern OK. But just read this as well:
Oaks

Shummard red oaks are beautiful trees, but very slow growing -- and you'd hate to cut it down, anyway. Live oaks are reasonably fast growers, if they will grow there. Live oaks also require annual pruning in January/February to thin them out (protects against storm damage). I gat a lot of Live Oak chunks just out of the branches I cut off every year.

I was just in Tulsa, but didn't pay attention to the trees.

If maple will grow there, it grows fast, then outgrows its water supply and dies, so maples are expendable.

CD

maples are trash trees? whta kind of unamerican talk is that? everytown and city on our nation has a maple street, bank on that

io agree about planting variety of trees, if you just get one type the ground gets set high Ph in one direction and the trees start killing other trees of other types

I wouldn't worry about planting trees for smoking.. lol you won't be here by the time they get big enough.. lol

Back