What to do with 40lbs of Frozen Chicken?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, I bought a 40lb box of boneless, skinless chicken breast from Cash & Carry (a restaurant supply store) a few months ago. It was in 10-4lb zippered bags and ice glazed so You could take out 2 or 3 at a time. I went back today and it was on sale so I got another box. This time it was 4 10lb bags and each bag has all 10lbs in one big frozen lump. I know You shouldn't thaw a re-freeze chicken but there is no way with 3 People in Our house that We could eat 10lbs of chicken in one setting or even two. Any ideas for safely salvaging the situation? I thought about thawing it in the fridge till a few pieces could be pried from the lump and putting the rest back in the freezer. Any help is appreciated and needed! Thanks, Wes

Cook a big batch (10 pounds) of something you make often. Have a nice meal and vaccu suck the rest in meal size packages and refreeze. I freeze cooked chicken all the time. 1 pound bags of smoked chicken are like gold at my house. Very versatile.

cook a big batch (10 pounds) of something you make often. Have a nice meal and vaccu suck the rest in meal size packages and refreeze. I freeze cooked chicken all the time. 1 pound bags of smoked chicken are like gold at my house. Very versatile.

bingo!

We make three meals from a batch of chicken.
1st night the chicken stands alone
2nd night we use some of the leftovers for chicken alfredo
3rd night we use some of the leftovers for grilled chiken salad.

10 lbs is probably still to much for this, but as the others said, you can freeze the cooked chicken in 1lb bags.

You can do the partial thaw followed y a refreeze. However, the best bet would be to cook the whole thing up and divvy out a couple of meals from it.

Have it how ever you care to the first night. Fried, etc is perfect. From there make somethign that you can freeze. This time of year is perfect for making a minster batch of chicken noodle soup and freezing in usable portions. Let the imagination go wild and for goodness sake. Don't forget thet "food is an adventure".

Make one meal and boil the living heck out of the rest of it to make soup stock, etc. or soup itself.

Great ideas! Thanks. For the first go round I'm just gonna bbq a bunch and invite all 3 of my kids and my niece and Her boyfriend over. The leftovers will go into bbq chicken salad. That should take care of most of one bag. We have a drawer in our fridge that is for storing meat. It's a little colder than the rest of the fridge. Any ideas how that could work for Me.

I usually wait for a rainy chitty day and make 3 large dishes... My suggestions would be Chicken cachetore, Chicken Tamales, Chicken Mole, Chicken and Dumplings ( well you get the idea. Any of these ( especially the tamales) can be frozen and re-heated.
Just re read your last post and saw you had some Grocery Gobblers ( Kids) in the family... Id go with the tamales, they are good, only problem is kids can eat them faster than you can make them.

To be honest We just buy tamales from a Mexican Bakery that makes 'em fresh everyday. Not home cooking but pretty darn god. I love Chicken and Dumplings and used to make them all the time.

Anyway We were able to thaw it some and pry off about 7 breast halves for dinner and put the rest in the fridge. My Wife plans on making bourbon chicken for dinner tonight.

If it were me I would make a meal or two with the chicken, cook the entire 10# baked, grilled or however you preferred. Freeze whatever is extra. Some of the extra could be sliced into strips for salads or burritos, chopped for chicken salad or even soup or stew, whole for a real quick casserole. The possibilities are almost endless.

Mike

There's a Super Bowl coming in two weeks. Invite 15-20 friends and cook up that chicken.

Problem solved!

Have fun.

Frank

Leave it frozen and use a hack saw on it (clean one, of course!)

Peter Gabriel song, late 80's, comes to mind.......Sledgehammer.

Or, thaw in frigde and make one huge batch of Chicken Paprikash.

Ask Bentley, sparky, We did a charity event where they supplied the chicken. We get set up with the smokers and guess what they bring us frozen chicken.:icon_smil About 200 pounds worth.

Ask Bentley, sparky, We did a charity event where they supplied the chicken. We get set up with the smokers and guess what they bring us frozen chicken.:icon_smil About 200 pounds worth.

Not to hijack but what did you and the Great Bentley do?

Not to hijack but what did you and the Great Bentley do?

gstanle aka Glen Stanley and his son hauled the chicken to the nesrest hose bib (which was not close) and used buckets to pour water over the chicken in the giant cooler. It took forever. They were troopers tothe end.

Needless to say we started some of that chicken not quite thawed.

Back