Question about tuning plates

no paint on the inside. Just food safe oil and a hot fire is all you need for the inside.

This confusses me (easy to do). I thought the tuning plates were the "baffle". I am picturing the Lang that has a baffle along the entire underside of the meat box - there would be no reason to put tuning plates above this baffle.

MoKanMeathead said:
This confusses me (easy to do). I thought the tuning plates were the "baffle". I am picturing the Lang that has a baffle along the entire underside of the meat box - there would be no reason to put tuning plates above this baffle.
MM,
Your Lang, like mine, is a reverse flow, and doesn't need tuning plates. For those that have the traditional setup, with a firebox that dumps heat directly into the smoke chamber, tuning plates help shrink or eliminate the hotspot by the firebox. They really make a difference in the smaller offsets.

My tuning plates are slotted to fit the baffle shown below. I took out the plates for this pic a while back. You can see the grooves where the plates just slide in. BTW: there is no paint on the inside anywhere

SheisHere018.jpg

Last edited:
Back