Need easy way to Shed Pork

I believe someone here uses the dough hook on their KitchenAide mixer. Personally, I put on my heavy vinyl gloves and tear it apart. Doesn't take long at all.

Matt

What YeliNUTZ and Michael said, cool it long enough, pull the bone and press down. It will break into the small chunks as Lake Dog said. I have bear claws, but rarely use them for pulling

I bought two sets of bear paws (figured I might get some help from my "helpers"), and both sets are just taking up space in my BBQ tool set. Your hands are the best pork pullers ever invented.

You still have to cook the pork to bone pulling doneness for the Roman to work effectively. For large quantities of pork or if you want it finely shredded (like for Brunswick stew), the Roman is the trick. For one or two butts, two forks or just your hands are still the best.

what they all said. If you are having trouble pulling your pork, it isn't getting cooked long enough. It should almost fall apart when the bone is pulled out.

I cook to different temps depending on how many butts I'm doing. Just 2 butts, I'll cook to 205. Put the two foiled butts in a cooler together and let rest for an hour or 2, then bust up.

4 or more butts: you can stop cooking at 195. Put all foiled butts in the same cooler together and let rest an hour or 2. The extra thermal mass will drive the temp over 205 so you dont have to use more fuel and do it in the smoker.

I bust up the meat with two regular kitchen forks. I wear white knit gloves under the standard blue XL Nitrile gloves to pull. This makes working with the hot meat a breeze.

image_16961.jpg

They're cheap and I get them at Harbor Freight.

I do not like using power tools to shred the meat because I like to pick thru the meat and remove any undesirable looking fat. Some fat is good, but there is some fat that you dont want to bite into. If I wouldn't want it in a bite of my sammich, I toss it.

I just realized, the OP asked in the title how to shed pork. I am afraid I am not very good at shedding pork, and I pretty good at laying it on though. :loco:

Thanks for all the replies it looks like I still have a lot to learn.:-D

I guess my question would be what do you mean by "shred pork"? Are you talking typical pulled pork? Or are you looking for finer shred to use in Brunswick Stew? I hand pull my pork for pulled pork but for stew, I put my pulled pork into a food processor to get a finer shred as I prefer a smaller cut in the stew.

Cook to 195 -200. Rest it for 30 minutes covered. Pull out bone. Place one hand on top of the other, like you are giving chest compresions, push down in center of pork cut. Done.

depends on how many butts we are talking.... for massive quantities of butts like we cooked for OBR I have found that my heavy paint mixer from harbor freight with the medium viscocity paddle worked like magic and we were able to blend 2-4 butts at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-speed-paint-and-mortar-mixer-69856.html with this attachment http://www.harborfreight.com/all-purpose-mixer-41015.html otherwise if cooked to the right temp they should should push apart with little ease

Get your self a pair of pvc welders glooves and work it by hand. Works great

If you like shredded pork (definitely NOT my favorite), bear claws does very good, forks can do just as good. But, like offthehook said, you may not be cooking it long enough, because to some degree it should be falling apart.

Me, I like pulled pork left in small chunks roughly the size of your thumb because they hold moisture much better and retain their taste better, and this is done best with your hands.

Best answer yet.

It shouldn't take 2 min to pull a butt, Would take a lot longer to clean the tools up

Back