A Question for the bakers out there...

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last weekend I made pita bread and it was really good, and really easy.
They were delicious right out of the oven, day two still good but less so, and my day three the birds got them.

My question... could I make the dough and after kneading it keep however much I want for that day out to do a normal rise and put the rest in the fridge to do a slow rise and use it as I need it?

If no - why not?
If yes, how long go you think it would last in the fridge?

Thanks for any responses - this is a learning experience for me.

Yes you can and you don't have to knead it once it comes together the gluten will form all by its self. Spray some pam in a zippy sack and drop in the dough. I make Pizza dough 2 weeks ahead the longer the ferment the better the flavor.

Thanks - I gave it a try. I figure if it doesn't work I really have nothing to lose but some flour.

as long as it is a yeast dough, what Bludawg says will work fine. You can even freeze it after a 12 hour chill. Chemically leavened doughs do not work that way.

Yes you can and you don't have to knead it once it comes together the gluten will form all by its self. Spray some pam in a zippy sack and drop in the dough. I make Pizza dough 2 weeks ahead the longer the ferment the better the flavor.

2 weeks? :shocked:The longest I go is 3 days...Is it really sour at that length of time?

But I don't remember seeing the recipe. Sounds like something I would love to try.

I've not tried it that way LM but the recipe I use makes 8 pitas. Sometimes I bake them all, eat two the first day, two the second and wrap and freeze the rest.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you. I'll give it a try too.

^^^This^^^ I do the same with pizza dough. Haven't ever made pita bread, but it's got the same ingredients.

I found a recipe for a dough using ice water and mixed in the food processor that calls for a 3 to 5 day chill rise in the frig. I have used it for pita, pizza and bread, rolls, etc. I have also ending up after to travel and didn't want to leave it so I put it in the freezer for a about two weeks, took it out and let it thaw on the counter and then second rise and it was perfect.

Back