Votes: 55 63.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 19 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I (and others) have been very happy with the ribs I have been cooking. Dry rub, and 225 until done.

Been thinking about 3-2-1, and treating with a glaze the last hour.

Why change from a good thing or You never know until you try?

Yes, I am asking for comments!

It never hurts to experiment with a test rack of ribs next time you cook, just do your usual for all but one and do the 3-2-1 on a rack and then you can compare to see which you like better. That's how I try new things then I can do a side-by-side comparison. If I don't like the new way I still have plenty of the old way to go around.

using the 3 2 1 eliminates some possible errors, and keeps the bark from getting too dark (I am a light to medium bark kinda guy). OTOH leave it in the foil to long and they overcook.

3-2-1 is a guideline, not a hard and fast set of times. Based on your pit and your recipes you need to adjust each of the stages until you get it right. For me its more like 3-1.5-.75 for the temps and stuff I use.

Depends on the rib for me. I don't do many baby backs any longer, so for spares, I like the 2-2-1 or the 2-1.5-.5 All depends on the rib talkin to ya really. I'm a perpetual peeker.

My first go at ribs last weekend done by strict 3-2-1 at 230 and were overcooked. Edible but not nearly as good as they should have been. Rookie mistake to not put full faith in the bend test..

Even at 225, I've found that 3-2-1 ribs are a little overdone for my tastes. I've been running at 275 recently and go with 1 hour on smoke, 1 hour in foil and then out of the foil till they pass the bend test.

All I can do is agree with the rest of the folks here. 3-2-1 is just too much cooking for spares. It may not be if they are not trimmed St. Louis style, I have no idea but when trimmed up nicely they basically fall apart after 2 hours in the foil.

My next cook with ribs will be 2-1.25-.5 to 1 depending on doneness.

Speaking of spares, Publix has them on sale this week 1.99/lb, and they are fresh not cryovac packed. (They probably get them in cryo and unpack them)

I do a modified 3-2-1. I actually go with 4-1.25-.5 @ 235-245.

The 1 hour or so in the foil is just the right amount of time to get them tender but not overcooked.

I am a TOTAL rookie when it comes to smoking. I smoked ribs for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I did the 3-2-1 and like the rest have said, they were just too done. Very good and not trashed but for sure overdone! I am trying again this weekend and I think I will do 2-1 and then wait for the bend test pass!

I used this method once it worked ok, but why go through the process of removing the ribs from the smoker to rap them, then back in for an hour or two, then take them out and remove the foil, then back in for an hour. I just leave them in and save time and foil and I end up with a product everyone likes. There's something to be said about keeping it simple

i never used to use this method. i usually just kept em on unfoiled until ready. my ribs were hit or miss. with practice they began to be better and better.

last weekend i did spares for the first time. i went with the 3-2-1. However, since i was cooking around 250-260, the 3-2-1 would be wayyy too much. so i tried to do 2h 30min -- 1h 45min -- 45min.

results were amazing. however after the foiled 1h 45m i noticed they were just about done when taking them out of the foil. so i just put em on for 30 min with a glaze at the end. where were outstanding. perfect texture. sliced em up. great bite, didnt fall off the bone. pulled off the bone with a slight tug. perfect.

Here's the directions I use...
Obie-Cue said:
o Sprinkle on a moderate coat of your favorite rub. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hrs.
o Set up BBQ pit using indirect heat and your favorite smokewood @ 250-275 degrees.
o Give the ribs about 2 hrs of smoke, until they are somewhat darkened and the meat has shrunk enough to expose about 1/4 inch of bone tip.
o Remove 'em from the pit onto a large piece of foil, then dampen the ribs with apple juice and sprinkle on another light coat of rub.
o Seal the ribs in the foil with another splash of apple juice; "Tent" the foil leaving room for steam--don't wrap them tightly or they'll shrink up really bad.
o Put 'em back on the pit or in the oven at 300 degrees until tender, about 2 hrs for spare ribs or 1 hr for baby backs. The internal temp of the meat at finish should be 195.
o Optionally, before serving, paint the with your favorite glaze.

Back