Competition Thighs

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Today I worked on my competition thighs. I need to figure out how they cook on the new smoker. They were slightly overcooked, but the skin was nice and bite through. The smoker was running a little hotter than I wanted it to. Enjoy the pics.

On the smoker
PICT0232.jpg

Sauced and ready to go back on the smoker
PICT0233.jpg

Just off the smoker
PICT0234.jpg

Obligatory bite shot
PICT0235.jpg

Love the look of that bite. I am planning on doing some chicken practice this weekend. Care to share any of your techniques? keith

Those look good. Made me hungry.
Looked moist even if they were overcooked.
Keep practicing. What are these going to be like when you
get everything the way you want it?

Looks good. How hot did you cook 'em?

What kind of cooker is that?

His signature lists a Backwoods Competitor. From the few pics, I'd say it is (the square grates and swiss cheese holes give it away).

Regarding the OP
practice, practice, practice

I'm a skin scraper. I also like to trim mine into uniform rectangles.

Good lookin' eats right there, Matt! If they weren't over done a bit you would have a winner.

Fantastic! I've always struggled with getting bite-thru skin consistent.

Looks like you're heading down the right road...

I figure that I'll start practicing on chicken again come December...

Made some thighs this weekend and was happy with the results. Sorry no pictures I need to get into the habit of taking some pictures to share. Thanx to all the brethren who have given suggestions on techniques in the many post that I have read. I used the scraped skin and butter baste and had good bite through skin. I think I am happy with my chicken for a first contest next spring. Next to conqueor, ribs. keith

Looking good Matt! Glad to see the BWS is finally in the house!!

Back