Where are all the Comp folks?

I used to check in daily to this page. Now it’s probably not even once a week. Heck, this topic started on 9/15 and today is the first time I’m seeing it. There’s just not enough new discussion to keep me coming back. I think the biggest reason is that comp bbq is undoubtedly seeing attrition. Less teams competing less often = less discussion. I also think comp bbq has gotten to be so competitive that the new standard is ‘take a class’, run that program, repeat. There is little room for creativity because the risk is too high. Thus, less Q&A here. Finally, I’d argue that this forum drove away its best contributors. I tip my cap to Brad for being probably the most active member in this page despite the crazy amount of competitions and work he’s doing. But gone are the days when other folks that competed at his level came here to banter. Love him or hate him, this place needs guys like TDuffy to shake things up. Smart, out spoken, and yes abrasive contributors are what made these threads explode with content.

I used to check in daily to this page. Now it’s probably not even once a week. Heck, this topic started on 9/15 and today is the first time I’m seeing it. There’s just not enough new discussion to keep me coming back. I think the biggest reason is that comp bbq is undoubtedly seeing attrition. Less teams competing less often = less discussion. I also think comp bbq has gotten to be so competitive that the new standard is ‘take a class’, run that program, repeat. There is little room for creativity because the risk is too high. Thus, less Q&A here. Finally, I’d argue that this forum drove away its best contributors. I tip my cap to Brad for being probably the most active member in this page despite the crazy amount of competitions and work he’s doing. But gone are the days when other folks that competed at his level came here to banter. Love him or hate him, this place needs guys like TDuffy to shake things up. Smart, out spoken, and yes abrasive contributors are what made these threads explode with content.
:twitch::crazy:

Agreed. We need TDuff and J$ back.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
There are a lot fewer people asking questions these days. For me, that means fewer threads to get engaged in, and as a result I don't come here as often.

Facebook has a lot of activity, but it either turns into judge bashing...or accusing people of judge bashing. You can't have any kind of substantive discussion there.

Maybe people just take a class, and don't ask questions. When I started cooking in 2006, there weren't that many classes out there, and this forum was a great resource. I still think there are very few places you can go and ask questions and actually get a real answer from a cook with credentials like Brad, but not as many people seem to take advantage of that.

Back