• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

*Wagyu Question* Is It Just The Extra Marbling? Or Is There A Texture Difference?

Definite marbling differences. I find the steaks are FAR more tender than choice and prime. I do not find glaring differences in waygu briskets. They look different, but after a long cook, they all eat well. Some swear by them though.
There is a butcher in McKinney TX that cuts waygu chuck roasts into steaks for 11.99/lb. you cook them a tad longer than you would a ribeye or strip, but then you can cut it with a fork. Absolutely incredible.

So like I said, big difference with the steaks in my opinion.

Its the difference between regular white birthday cake and Homemade Carrot Cake!

It is very Rich in taste.

To me texture is about the same as a good Prime Brisket. Marbling is off the chart. and it does finish at a lower temp in my experience however, because of the marbling it is more forgiving if over cooked a tad because it will still hold together for a good 1/4 inch slice snap test.

Thanks guys. Its mostly the texture difference if any that I am interested in. I can tell from pictures that it is much more marbled. I just wanted to know about the texture difference if any.

As far as marbling goes I think I may have a way of making my own ;)

5a2umy5u.jpg

uny4e2ej.jpg

Yes

Agree. At bigger comps I cook a prime angus and a wagyu. Myself I can't stand brisket anymore. Prime angus is usually a thicker better looking slice (that I would rather put in the box) but my taste tester (wife) always picks the wagyu. Just my $.02

Thanks guys. Its mostly the texture difference if any that I am interested in. I can tell from pictures that it is much more marbled. I just wanted to know about the texture difference if any.

As far as marbling goes I think I may have a way of making my own ;)

5a2umy5u.jpg

Can I ask what that contraption is. It looks like the grease gun I use at work to grease bearings and whatnot

You can always try to use a larding needle to add some fat to the brisket. It will add a lot of flavor.

Can I ask what that contraption is. It looks like the grease gun I use at work to grease bearings and whatnot

Yessir! That is a grease gun. And the stuff in the jars is pure rendered beef fat before it set up and turned white like lard. Its a brand new grease gun that I have cleaned very thoroughly. I'm gonna take a shot at injecting a brisket full of the fat and see what happens.

Also using one of these.
pynajevy.jpg

Warm it up first, I have one of those needles (full of chassis grease) and they want to shoot off. Might tape it on or something.

Also, those guns are are designed to work with the tube. Might use some rolled aluminum foil to create a seal.

I like the way you are thinking. Not sure this is your winner, but innovative.

Warm it up first, I have one of those needles (full of chassis grease) and they want to shoot off. Might tape it on or something.

Also, those guns are are designed to work with the tube. Might use some rolled aluminum foil to create a seal.

I like the way you are thinking. Not sure this is your winner, but innovative.

Thanks. I'm gonna clean up and re use one of the plastic tubes. I tried this once before with a normal injector and heated liquid fat, but most of it would come out. I figure going in solid it should stay put.

Having cooked 3 strubes and 2 snake river farms and not doing squat at comps I went back to my CAB choice and the walks came back. And IMO there was not much flavor difference. I cook national 16-18 lb packers now especial after reading these articles
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol...est-scam-part-2-domestic-kobe-and-wagyu-beef/

Hell I barely buy into @50 brisket much less a $100 wannabe kobe

Back