Overnight Cook Help

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm doing a big cook in June, and thinking about setting the pit up for a cook overnight, so all of the food will be as fresh as possible and not have to hit the fridge any.

I read about everyone doing overnight cooks, but I just don't see how it's possible. I have a 36 Lang, and it holds temp GREAT, but it definitely won't for 5-6-7 hours for sleep.

Right now, I'm cooking with charcoil and pecan logs. If I'm rolling with straight wood would that give me a longer burn time? If I get some hardwood or something will that extend those times that would let me sleep and cook at the same time?

I haven't done a cook with pure wood yet (because I haven't been able to find any). So I really don't know how it cooks with all wood.

I don't have a stickburner, but from talking with those who do, I think you'd be better off trying to get some smoke on it then just using charcoal instead of only wood. Maybe even building a basket. I believe when most stickburner guys talk about overnight cooks, it means they're up a few times feeding the fire.

I'm doing a big cook in June, and thinking about setting the pit up for a cook overnight, so all of the food will be as fresh as possible and not have to hit the fridge any.

I read about everyone doing overnight cooks, but I just don't see how it's possible. I have a 36 Lang, and it holds temp GREAT, but it definitely won't for 5-6-7 hours for sleep.

Right now, I'm cooking with charcoil and pecan logs. If I'm rolling with straight wood would that give me a longer burn time? If I get some hardwood or something will that extend those times that would let me sleep and cook at the same time?

I haven't done a cook with pure wood yet (because I haven't been able to find any). So I really don't know how it cooks with all wood.

The best trick would be to use a temp controller so you can get a couple hours of sleep. You will still need to get up and every 3 hours or so to check the fire and stoke it if needed. Overnight cooks take commitment and regardless of whether your cooker can go 20 hours at 225 with out touching it, most guys end up awake at multiple times of the night to check on it. The results are worth it though.

I don't have a stickburner, but from talking with those who do, I think you'd be better off trying to get some smoke on it then just using charcoal instead of only wood. Maybe even building a basket. I believe when most stickburner guys talk about overnight cooks, it means they're up a few times feeding the fire.

That's what I was thinking. I could get the temp up and it holds pretty steady for a solid hour or longer. I've seen people mention the air thing-a-ma-jigs but I don't think I want to go that route.

I set the alarm for every two hours. (or just run a drum)

Like some have suggested, you could buy/build a fire basket and use minion method or snake to extend those times.

I just wake up really early and cook around 290. Seems to work out OK. I'm a little tired by the end of the day, but it doesn't bug me too much.

Running a Lang, there's no such thing as an un-attended overnight cook. You'll have to be up at a minimum of once every 2 hours, and most likely more often. Have you thought about getting up early and doing it hot and fast?

Burning straight wood will involve a split every 30-45 minutes = no sleep.

Unless you use a charcoal basket/charcoal basket -every few hours.

Details matter if you want any "informed" advice. 8)

What meats??
What temps do you prefer or insist on??
What time does the meat need to be served??
If need be, do you have anyone capable of stoking the fire (not rocket science 8) ) ??

From that, maybe a plan will evolve.
Without that, it is all just a shot in the dark.

Good Luck

TIM

Well I have a Lang 36, I have to add a stick every 45/60 minutes, but I tend to cook at about 325 and really dont need to go over night, briskets done in 5 hrs and butts maybe 6-7 as a rule. so I can fire things up early AM, and lunch is ready

I need it to be done no later than noon, so I can throw the ribs on.

I suppose I could try to hit the bed extremely early and wake up around midnight to fire 'er up.

I think with a stick burner, you are pretty much stuck tending the fire. Nothing cooks like a stick burner but you have the put in the work.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have a home built stick burner, when I do over night cooks I just stoke my fire up and it will run 2.5 to 3 hrs before my temps start to drop. When I plan on stoking up a fire all night I get a good fire going and I can cut down my air intake to keep temps steady for long runs

Take it from someone who owns a Lang 84. These cookers are drafty and if you want to cook low and slow with sticks you will have to add a stick and hour or hour and a half. It's the nature of the beast. Thats why we went to an Insulated Box Cooker for Competition. We had a Medium Spicewine and with a charcoal basket and BBQ Guru could maintain temperature for almost 24 hours on a bag of charcoal. When we started competing using the Lang we took shifts staying up to tend the fire. It got old pretty quick. No sleep at night is a fact of life with a Lang when cooking low and slow.

I have a Klose 30" diameter X 8 ft. long with upright. When up to temp I use a split every hour or hour and a half depending on the wind and outside temps. I have an insulated firebox.
Plan on being up all night to feed your pit fuel.

Back