View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #46
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
If I have come across as an arrogant know it all I apologize. If I have disrespected anyone I apologize, that is not my intent.

That being said, if truth and history and correct word usage make you guys so mad, maybe we should change the name of the forum to the BBQ-Old Ladies. Seriously, lighten up.

Once again, I have not called anyone's cooking skills into question or promoted one style of cooking over another, I have not insulted anyone. All I have done is try to explain the difference between real honest to god BBQ, and what most people around the world call BBQ. Here are the facts:

Barbecue has always referred to a style of cooking over fire.
It has only been in the last 50 or 60 years that people began referring to anything besides pork as BBQ.
Light red sauce has only been around for about 100 years, since ketchup became readily available.
Thick sweet red sauce has only been around for about 50 or 60 years.
It has traditionally been understood that when someone says "I'm going to have a plate of BBQ" that they were referring to pulled pork.

Like I've said. lots of people call their SUV a truck, but that don't make it a truck.

So I am sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. But if you're gonna claim that I am disrespecting anyone maybe you could look through the posts and show me where. 'Cause I don't see it. With all due respect, if I called my rice mashed potatoes for thirty years, would that make it so? No it would not it would still be rice. I would have just been calling it the wrong name for thirty years.

It's easy for people to get along with others who share their opinions, right or wrong. I understand. But sometimes you just need to look at what someone else is saying and actually listen instead of saying, "This is the way I've always done it so it must be right." BBQ has been around for a long time. It hasn't changed a bit. What has changed is people have expanded the usage of the term to make it a catch all for anything cooked over fire. This is incorrect. Lots of people call BBQ anything that they put sauce on. This is also incorrect. But hey, if you want to call a dog a cat or a rhinoceros an elephant, you are free to. But the word usage would be just as misplaced there as here. So sorry if I offended anyone.
I've got books, magazine articles, recipes and other reference materials, by experts I greatly respect, that say you aren't right either. One says first BBQ is goat, one says pig and one or two say beef.

NO ONE KNOWS WHERE THE TERM BBQ CAME FROM!

Your apology, although a nice gesture, came across as "I'm sorry you're wrong."

I hope you stick around here because it's obvious you know a great deal and we are all about learning from each other. However, you appear to be still discounting our knowledge because we call something BBQ that you don't.

Good luck!

Because we are...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote