Smokers

Dueck

Reaction score
Once upon a time I had a New Braunfels smoker. I was gettin pretty good with it
when life kinda got in the way and I sorta lost interest. Anyway I'm gettin back into it again. Right now I have a cheapo vertical water smoker and it does butts and ribs pretty good,but no way would I try a brisket(whole packer would'nt fit anyway). Was looking at a new New Braunfuls for $199 or an Old Country Ranch Hand for $299. The OCRH seems a little better made but $100 better? Or am I better off with a Weber Smoky Mountain? BTW, I really like stickburners but the
budget is $400 max.

Thanks for any advice, Dueck

If you get a wsm or build drum You'll have more time in case life interferes, but going from a stick burner to charcoal is like changing religions for some

I say if you really like stick burners than forget about the WSM and get a stick burner.

Run lump in a drum...you won't be disappointed. All wood is great but drippings on the coals is great.

You will love the dripping direct on coals flavor, the space and rock solid operation of the drum. It's just a super strong platform for what it is and the different tweaks you can make

The Old Country stuff is OK for the price, just be sure to do a thorough inspection of the specific pit you might buy (and don't be afraid to hit multiple stores). They are all over the place in terms of build quality (welds, fit, etc). Luckily, you are local to visit Academy.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep looking at Old Country and
buy when I find a good one. I am lucky in that I have three Academy stores
within a twenty minute drive from me.

Again, thanks!

Dueck

WSM with a blower set up is set it and forget it. Keeps it at 275 so I can worry about other things than wood and dampers.

Welcome back. :thumb:

As you are in Tomball there should be plenty of decent used pits on CL for back yard use that will far outclass the pits you listed.

Back