Fresh salmon... now what?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
bought some fresh salmon... was thinking of smoking it, but I have no idea about smoking fish.

Can y'all help a brother out? was thinking of fennel, lemon, and some Hawaiian black salt... but how long do I cook at what temp? Internal temp of the fish? Foil or no foil?

So many questions :confused:

I'm grilling salmon tonight.

A little olive oil, a little sea salt then grilled to medium and glazed with Sweet Ginger Chili Sauce from The Ginger People.

I agree with Grail. Olive oil, course salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I like it cooked to about 155*, but I live on the prairie. All of our Salmon has been frozen, never had fresh.

+1 its hard to make it wrong.
Smoked salmon is delicious.

Thanks for the tips.

But can you give me some specifics about running the UDS? Do I run at the usual 225-250? Any estimates on how long it will take?

Thanks for helping out the n00b!

Thanks for the tips.

But can you give me some specifics about running the UDS? Do I run at the usual 225-250? Any estimates on how long it will take?

Thanks for helping out the n00b!

I can't, sorry. Personally I grill salmon. Wouldn't do it on the UDS.

I smoke 100s of pounds of salmon evey year. The salmon that I smoke is beat to death salmon that have been processed thru the hatchery on the Feather River here in Oroville. The fish are released to Native Americans which bring the fish to me for smoking. I have been experimenting for years. What i have ended up using is a rub with turbinado sugar, rock salt, smoked paprika, cracked black pepper, and slight amounts of cayenne pepper.

Some folks like salmon smoked until it is like jerky. I prefer smoked salmon with a tender texture. I brine the salmon in water and the rub overnight. I then pat the salmon dry and coat with rub. I smoke salmon with the meat skin down on cedar planks. I hand grate fresh ginger root over the salmon when it is starting to get firm. I continue smoking to the texture that I desire.

With nice firm pink fresh salmon you may need to smoke a little longer. I have been working with fish that have battled their way up a fish ladder.

PM me for any questions or pictures

I smoke salmon on a Weber, in-direct fire. I buy the fresh salmon steaks from the local grocer (Hy-Vee) in the fresh meat case. Marinate them for appx. 2 hours in Lawry's Sesame-Ginger marinade. Use a small mixture of hickory and cherry chips for smoke flavor. Don't really pay too much attention to temperature of the grill since it is in-direct cooking and doesn't take too long to cook. As soon as I see the white stuff start oozing, I take it off the grill. That white stuff is called "serum albumin". It is the proteins from the blood of the fish after it was cleaned. Looks like an egg white when cooked/oozing out. It's okay to eat, and certainly one of the highest protein fishes to consume. :wink:

This is by far my favorite salmon recipe. Soak a cedar or alder plank and char it for 10 minutes over direct heat then flip it and put it over indirect 350. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the salmon and put it on skin side down. After 15 minutes brush some of this dressing on it and again at about 20 minutes. It's done right at 25 minutes and it's farkin great!
Dressing recipe:
2 TBS fresh lime juice
2 TBS rice vinegar
2 TBS dijon
2 TBS honey
2 TBS minced fresh chives
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Put everything in a blender or food processor except the oil and mix until well blended. After that's all blended and with the blender still running pour in the olive oil until smooth. It only takes about 10 minutes to make and it's my go to salmon sauce.

DSCN0092.jpg

DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

I smoked a salmon once when a friend of mine got a whole salmon to grill half for a dinner and we decided to play with the other half. Our recipe was horrible. They had us brining the salmon for I think 8-12 hours prior to smoking for a couple of hours.

The salmon took the smoke fantastically, but the brining made it so salty that it was inedible. It looks like ChuckWagonBBQCo brines, but in a much more sensible way. Our brine was very similar to a turkey brine.

Good luck with the salmon, if done right it should be heaven :).

WOW! Too many people to thank... so a collective thanks to all of you!:biggrin:

I knew the brethren would come through.

Will definitely plan in advance next time so I can do it on the UDS. Got a fresh salmon fillet from Seabrook (30+ miles from Houston, the boats supposedly drop off fresh catch to these places) and so wanted to eat it tonight.

Again thanks to everyone... posted the pron in a new thread.

Must get to bed... fatties are screaming to be cooked tomorrow (actually today).

Back