Sorry, but another turkey question.

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been tasked with smoking two 8 lb bone in turkey breasts for the annual holiday family feast. One question.... If my birds are "treated with a 3% natural solution for tenderness and juiciness" do I even need to bother with a brine? Thanks and have a GREAT holiday!

I normally sigh when someone brings me a pre-brined bird because I don't get to be creative with brine mixes, I just inject with a rosemary garlic butter and smoke it up. Saves me some work but people sometimes have a tough time finding a natural bird around here. Still tastes great but I don't want to turn a turkey into a salt lick.

I brine any poultry that is at or below 8% and can really tell the difference in flavor and moistness. Publix poultry is normally like that.
If I get "stuck" with a higher level of factory prep (normally by a relative)--I just cook it.
Comes out fine but just not with my flavors (if any).

I am not sure, but I think the processors are required to declare "some" level of "retained moisture" and I see some many that say "less than 3%. Don't think that is an issue at all, at least for me.

It is all----Good Eats!!

TIM

A key difference is if it's just retained water from the chilling process, or "enhanced" with a solution.

If you have the time you could soak them in water for a couple of days, changing the water twice a day to draw out the solution.

I skipped the brine this time around. I have a feeling these may have turned out a touch dry, but won't be reheating and slicing these bad boys up until Christmas Day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356353818.196613.jpg

Back