View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #24
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Rusty.....like what Pappy has said above, do what you want to do, it's your money and life.

Remember man, for disciplined people, the smart and always the best choice is to save what money you can when you can for all kinds of reasons....whether it's for house emergency, college funds, future retirements etc. There is never ever gonna be a real honest to God legitimate reason to spend that money on a black hole hobby like BBQ instead of putting it into an IRA or a college fund or saving for when your HVAC goes out.

Some lyrics to one of my favorite songs says "seems like everything I do will make me sick or poor or fat" and those are wise words. everytime I buy more rubs, or a new smoker or trailer or whatever, it could have been saved and would have probably been better for me financially to do that instead.

everytime I buy a new guitar or a new pistol I should have saved my money instead......but then again, I also want to enjoy my life.

my dad gave me some great advice when I was younger. he said "son, dont live above your means, but also dont let the best years of your life pass you by thinking that you are saving and waiting for some big Utopia that is going to come when you are older. Here I sit with enough money to be comfortable and do most anything reasonable I would like to do, but I no longer care about doing those things.....so do those things while you are young enough to enjoy them while you can. that's one of the reasons why you work and make a living."

I really took those words to heart. I'm 47 and I am trying to live my life in a way that is not reckless, but is also full of enjoyment and adventure, within reason. Sometimes money is tighter and I dont get to do everything I want. But then sometimes, I have enough extra that I allow myself to engage in these crazy hobbies instead of stashing it back for an eventual retirement etc.

and let's remember, $2000 is not money to sneeze at it, but it's also not the kind of money that is gonna really impact your future whether you blow it or save it. But I dont know the shape of your finances and only you can know whether you can "afford" to blow that money or pay the penalties for getting to it etc. that's up to you.

Lastly, another great line from a song is "I never saw a U-Haul being pulled by a hearse"....in other words, you can't take it with you when you die, so live while you can, but be fair and reasonable with your family.

that's my 2 cents.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->