WiredBBQ.com and the Banquet

Let me get this straight -- KCBS just invested significant resources in promoting the Team of the Year race. An innovative company comes along and offers to broadcast the awards ceremony celebrating the race internationally and free of charge. Rather than accept the gracious offer, they reject it. And in the process, they cut out the great number of KCBS members who can't attend the banquet, and penalize a big supporter of BBQ for being innovative.

It's shortsighted thinking like this that is holding KCBS back. Rather than waste time trying to combat the evils of nepotism and e-mails by Board members, it should be focusing on opportunities like the one presented by WiredBBQ. What a wasted opportunity.

Just as an FYI, I like the people at wiredbbq, I have nothing against them.... the fact is it was e-mail posted 72 hours before the meeting, it gave no time for any others to submit, the agenda for the public was only out the day or 2 before the vote, it was only out 2 days for board members who are to vote, no other comparable groups could be reached and the board was not thinking it would be fair and that it may drop attendance at the banquet.

Hey Gene, Thanks for being available and honest. Guys may disagree with you but at least there is civil communication.

I dont think anyone on the board has anything against wired BBQ. There would not be any reason for them to. I was just voicing my disappointment in the thought process. Some others have echoed that sentiment. I'm not saying that you are holding any group in disfavor, i just think the board has taken the wrong approach.

I normally stay out of these threads, Its just the last two elections I have tried to vote with folks I thought would have some of the same ideas I do, and It appears not to be the case. It blows my mind that the entire board would vote against something as innocuous as streaming the awards. The Royal and the Jack both came to the same conclusions I thought our board would.

Just the ability for the international viewers alone would be something KCBS has never had before. I just would think the positives would have outshown the potential negatives.

I also didnt know that there were other comparable groups interested in streaming the awards/banquet. I know of several organizations the record footage, and produce episodes, like BBQ TV, I didnt know of anyone else that would stream the banquet live. I'd think others could be added though if they asked, after seeing the idea...

Anyway, just wanted it to be clear, I didnt think there was any "agenda" by anyone, or disdain for WiredBBQ. I just think the thought process to get to the decision is flawed, and am disappointed by that. Again Gene, I appreciate you, and your candid discussion on it.

Just as an FYI, I like the people at wiredbbq, I have nothing against them.... the fact is it was e-mail posted 72 hours before the meeting, it gave no time for any others to submit, the agenda for the public was only out the day or 2 before the vote, it was only out 2 days for board members who are to vote, no other comparable groups could be reached and the board was not thinking it would be fair and that it may drop attendance at the banquet.

Gene thanks for the honesty, but as a KCBS member this is an unacceptable decision by all of you. This can still be done, there is plenty of time. Bring this to the table at the next "Special meeting" that is to take place on December 20th and make this happen. You guys know the attendance and that this in no way shape or form will impact the attendance to this event. Its things like that makes me as a member not want to attend this because I know my $$$ will be going to an organization that is run by people who can not make the decisions that are POSITIVE AND RIGHT for the KCBS and its members! If I were an elected official I would be embarrassed! I see why some of the people who thought they were elected in the past and thought they could make a difference have quit!

Jon

While I disagree with the conclusions reached
I like others appreciate you coming in and speaking Gene

In house web casting event results and important meetings is something
I hope to look at as a member of the board if elected

As a first year competitor and now a former member of KCBS i really have no dog in the fight, but lately the board has solidified my reasoning of not renewing my membership this year. I couldnt attend this years banquet if i wanted to due to work schedules, but maybe like the Jack and the Royal I am making plans to go next year.

Gene, I also appreciate you taking the time to provide additional info. I don't agree with, or understand the decision and reasoning behind it, but I do respect the fact that you will willing to address the issue.

I'm just shocked that there wasn't ONE PERSON on the board who could see through the negativity and vote YES! Gene, after everyone here (who by the way are mostly cooks) has voiced their opinions on this, can you still not see where the board's decision was a bad one for all involved? Can you see no benefit to KCBS in free positive publicity? :confused:

I'm a little confused -- according to the quick notes, this issue was tabled at the November hearing. Are the quick notes incorrect?

Gene,
I am glad that you are willing to respond but, your facts as presented are not even close to reality.

The following is excerpted from the KCBS Web Site Published November Agenda: (Please note that this is a full 30 days prior to the December meeting)

"AGENDA FOR THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
NOVEMBER 10, 2010
KANSAS CITY, MO
Merl Whitebook, Secretary
New Business:

Motion by Candy Weaver: Simulcast of Banquet.
Wired Barbeque (http://www.wiredbbq.com) has inquired requesting permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. Their webcast of the 2010 Jack was quite successful and sparked much web interest in the activities in Lynchburg.
With over 13,000 members, this webcast is a way to give KCBS members who cannot attend the banquet a web way to be a part of the action."

This really should be addressed by the board as some one, some where has selective memory.

Mack Yarbrough
Member #24882

A previous poster noted that this motion was tabled from the November meeting according to the KCBS Web Site Published Quick Minutes from November.

Last edited:
interesting to read, I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them.... we the board discussed it at the December meeting a couple of weeks ago in my mind, maybe I missed it and my mind is gone I don't think so though...

I looked it up in my notes, this item was listed on the Agenda for November and not discussed, it was discussed at the December meeting as previosely posted... I/ we discussed it at the December meeting only...

so if it was on the november agenda, then there was over a month for any other interested entity to make a proposal.

Even better, KCBS could have sent out or published an RFP(Request for proposal) so anyone interested can bid. Wiredbbq is unique and if they were the only bidder, IMO, should have been approved.

so if it was on the november agenda, then there was over a month for any other interested entity to make a proposal.

Even better, KCBS could have sent out or published an RFP(Request for proposal) so anyone interested can bid. Wiredbbq is unique and if they were the only bidder, IMO, should have been approved.

And there's no reason why the BOD couldn't have worked with Wired with the full understanding that the 2011 banquet would be a test only and that broadcasting the 2012 would be open to an RFP process.

WiredBBQ Response

Hey, thanks to everyone that supports what WiredBBQ does. I, for one, have always thought it would be cool to cover the KCBS Banquet. That being said, we understand that there's a process involved that decides our level of participation. We asked, and have yet to receive an official response.
@Gene01 "I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them..." (There was no meeting on November 27th in St. Louis, we weren't in St. Louis on this date)

To learn of the board's decision through these posts is somewhat disheartening, it hardly takes away from what WiredBBQ is about.

I must say that it is the cookers and competitors that make WiredBBQ most interesting. What happens in board rooms don't make good barbecue. It's you folks that we follow, and we appreciate your good words and support. So thank you Brethren, we'll be around. Maybe even at the 'After' party....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't post here either, but this is disturbing.

Gene, thanks tons for giving us insight into the process and sticking your neck out.
As Jon suggested, why not put talk about it at the special meeting? These guys don't need to set up a studio - I've seen them in action and they travel light - and a lot of us who are not attending would LOVE to watch the banquet.

Arlin

Stand out in the lobby, just outside the banquet room.... You can have access to just about anycook, rep et al. that will be there. I wouldn't expect any BOD members to do any interviews, because there was no competing bid for you to stand in the lobby and we know that the way the BOD operates is always on the straight and narrow path... Right? Oooh, another thought.. I'll prop the door open, or as a paying guest, I will accidently leave the door open during awards... I am sure we could find others that "might" be avaialble to ghold the door open as well...

All I have to say is unbelievable. How many other productions are stepping up to broadvast this? Or is it about getting competitng bids? For what? YOu think anyone is making money on this? I bet this is a total loss for wiredBBQ.

Disappointed with the actions of the BOd to not look at the big picture of what this could have done for BBQ.

I'll copy and post directly from the KCBS website....

Mission

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

Hey, thanks to everyone that supports what WiredBBQ does. I, for one, have always thought it would be cool to cover the KCBS Banquet. That being said, we understand that there's a process involved that decides our level of participation. We asked, and have yet to receive an official response.
@Gene01 "I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them..." (There was no meeting on November 27th in St. Louis, we weren't in St. Louis on this date)

To learn of the board's decision through these posts is somewhat disheartening, it hardly takes away from what WiredBBQ is about.

I must say that it is the cookers and competitors that make WiredBBQ most interesting. What happens in board rooms don't make good barbecue. It's you folks that we follow, and we appreciate your good words and support. So thank you Brethren, we'll be around. Maybe even at the 'After' party....

Mission

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

Exactly.

I've left voicemail for a member of the board, to see if it's possible to look at this issue again during the special meeting scheduled for today.

If Wired BBQ would like to come to Florida I'll be willing to do a re-enactment of what's happening at the banquet. I've seen it many times and believe my interpretation will be accurate, and way more entertaining.

Back