Pitcooker T - The Truth about Hanging Briskets in the PBC

I attribute the overtenderness over doneness to my laziness. At my core, it is important to know.... I just don't give a ****.

I cook the ****ing thing, there was heat in the PBC after it was done, I have no idea how much so I wrapped it up and let it rest in there. I could give two ****ws if it fell apart because I like it that way. :)

I'm looking forward to over cooking one this weekend :).

Bill

I enjoyed hell outta that video, Donnie. Well done, sir!

Arlin

Yeah, I'm one of those newbs on this site. Thing is, your videos on youtube are what brought me here. The site and all the great info caused me to get an account. The flavors and ideas I'm finding and developing are making me more and more of an addict every day.

Great show! Keep up the good work. Or don't. I might need to buy stock in keyboards.

I printed out the recipe from another thread, but I am easily confused and it made some mention of "regrinding" the celery seed ??

Yeah if you toss the [FONT=&quot]Don Cornelius LOL in a coffee grinder or magic bullet or whatever to crack open the seeds it creates a better flavor [/FONT]

Yeah if you toss the [FONT=&quot]Don Cornelius LOL in a coffee grinder or magic bullet or whatever to crack open the seeds it creates a better flavor [/FONT]

Or the food processor, got it :).................good video tho :)...

Or the food processor, got it :).................good video tho :)...

LOL yeah if you have 2 pounds of it you will need the food processor

I made mine using 2 ounces as my 1 part. It made a lot for the every weekend user like me. Let me say i love this rub. It is really close to the ones I normally make butt now it has a cool name lol. it goes good with almost any thing!!

LOL yeah if you have 2 pounds of it you will need the food processor

I made mine using 2 ounces as my 1 part. It made a lot for the every weekend user like me. Let me say i love this rub. It is really close to the ones I normally make butt now it has a cool name lol. it goes good with almost any thing!!

Well darn it, I do not have a coffee grinder for spices at present :).......

I like when a week goes by and you finally pry that "little something" from your toof and gum you have been working on and you bite it inside your mouth and you get a celery explosion.....

I like when a week goes by and you finally pry that "little something" from your toof and gum you have been working on and you bite it inside your mouth and you get a celery explosion.....

You've had that problem also?? I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

You're more likely to have frequent bean explosions...

so if we can cook a brisket so close to the coals without it burning, does this change the 24'' rule of thumb of the UDS? or does the ability to cook it close have more to do with the verticality of the meat on the PBC? I feel like if you put a horizontal brisket 10 or 15 inches from the coals, it will burn to oblivion. I guess this is the beauty of the PBC?

so if we can cook a brisket so close to the coals without it burning, does this change the 24'' rule of thumb of the UDS? or does the ability to cook it close have more to do with the verticality of the meat on the PBC? I feel like if you put a horizontal brisket 10 or 15 inches from the coals, it will burn to oblivion. I guess this is the beauty of the PBC?

I would venture to say you are absolutely right!!!!!. Heck the end of that brisket was MUCH closer than even 4 inches, it was fine.... nothing on the whole brisket that I would not be able to eat or even felt burned. I figured one inch of burned meat was no big deal if the rest was good.... but there was nothing burned.

We all know if we made a rack where the brisket was 4 inches off the coals it would burn..

but wait....I am thinking

you know... if you look back at the ribs video you can see chunks of wood that are still "wood color" even 4 hours into the burn... so maybe the coal bed is not as hot as we think.

I would venture to say you are absolutely right!!!!!. Heck the end of that brisket was MUCH closer than even 4 inches, it was fine.... nothing on the whole brisket that I would not be able to eat or even felt burned. I figured one inch of burned meat was no big deal if the rest was good.... but there was nothing burned.

We all know if we made a rack where the brisket was 4 inches off the coals it would burn..

but wait....I am thinking

you know... if you look back at the ribs video you can see chunks of wood that are still "wood color" even 4 hours into the burn... so maybe the coal bed is not as hot as we think.
Also anything that drips out or runs off the meat flows downward which might help balance out the temperature ?? Sort of a built in cooling system :).

Bill

Also anything that drips out or runs off the meat flows downward which might help balance out the temperature ?? Sort of a built in cooling system :).

Bill

I was just about to say something about that.

All the juices are running down the sides and collecting at the tip close to the coals before they drip off helping to keep the meat cool enough not to burn.

If we would but a grate that close the juices would not have the same effect.

Unless a person would fabricate a brisket rack to be able to stand the brisket on end!! LOL

Back