• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roast Pork Sandwich w/broccoli rabe

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When I think of stadium food, I think of a Roast Pork sandwich from Tony Luke's stand at Citizens Bank Park. That and some Chickie's and Pete's crab fries complete with that crack like white cheese sauce.

We had people coming over on Sunday to watch the Flyers beat the Devils so I figured I'd make it happen. I did hear one person say something like "I'm never not coming to a party here", which made me smile inside. When I brought out the MOINK balls mid party, people threw their hands up in defeat of awesomeness.

My first time using boneless butts from Costco. It's been noted that them removing the bone is way easier than me doing it. :grin:

IMG_2695.jpg

In a food processor I added about 25-30 cloves of garlic. The wife was complaining of a crazy garlic smell but you need a lot, trust me. A bunch of flat leaf parsley, fresh oregano, salt, crushed red pepper flakes and some olive oil.

IMG_2688.jpg

Then I butterflied the pork butts and spread the garlic and herb mixture all over and tied them back up.

IMG_2701.jpg

From there they went onto the egg running at 225*. It is now 2am because I just can't ever seem to cook during daylight hours, but I wanted to get the meat cooked early so it had time to cool before slicing.

IMG_2713.jpg

They came off at around 6:30 am. Luckily I was close by the smoker, my daughter wanted to sleep in a tent, but not outside. :tsk: So I spent the night in a tent in my living room. Am I the only one who does that? :crazy:

They didn't take much color since I didn't put any chunks on for smoke. I just wanted to keep it original.

IMG_2716.jpg

When it was cool I sliced it up. This made quite a bit of pork. I even got some for the freezer out of the deal. :grin:

IMG_2721.jpg

The slices are then reheated and held in the crock pot until service. I didn't get much juice out of these butts, so I added a packet of Lipton's savory herb and garlic soup mix and water to the crock pot as well. You want it swimming in juice. The flavor of the soup mix made a perfect Au Ju.

I plated it with another Philly favorite, my take on Chickie's and Pete's crab fries. They also make a white cheese dipping sauce that is so good you could drink it. I seasoned my fries with old bay and SM season all.

A good pork sandwich isn't complete without broccoli rabe, I sauteed mine in olive oil with more garlic and crushed red pepper.

Roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone with a side of crab fries w/cheese and long hot peppers. Many beers met their maker on this day as well. :-D I just forgot to include them in the picture. :tsk: The Flyers won game 1 of the series and it was a good day indeed!

IMG_2741.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:peace:

Holy crap that looks good. And you're right....that cheese sauce is insanely good. What a game.....go FLYERS......

Now I've never worked at Chickie's and Pete's but the recipe I found for the sauce is so easy it's really kinda silly. You wanna guess or should I just tell you? :laugh:

...my daughter wanted to sleep in a tent, but not outside. :tsk: So I spent the night in a tent in my living room. Am I the only one who does that? :crazy:

Umm, stinkin' kids have a way of getting you to do things that you'd never do otherwise... that's why we love em'!

Great lookin sammich!

Now I've never worked at Chickie's and Pete's but the recipe I found for the sauce is so easy it's really kinda silly. You wanna guess or should I just tell you? :laugh:

Speak up son! Ah cain't hear ya'!

PLEASE....tell me. I had a relative that worked at the EHT restaurant. Hard as they tried the recipe was NOWHERE to be found. I'd really appreciate knowing something that's close to it.....

Looks wonderful what temp did you pull it?

I pulled the pork at about 170* from what I can remember. I had originally wanted to pull it at about 140* sine I wasn't too concerned about doneness since it would be sitting in the juice later and cooking more. It just didn't seem right at 140* so I decided to take it up higher. I'm glad I did. It was super moist right off the slicer, the fat looks like it hadn't rendered enough but after soaking in the juice it melted in your mouth without falling apart. Perfect.

Speak up son! Ah cain't hear ya'!

The sauce is just American cheese and water. About 1 cup boiling water to 1lb cheese. I told you it was simple. :-D The water really keeps it from getting too thick so it has the perfect consistency. Just add more water or cheese until it's the way you want it. I had it in a little crock pot and it was good all day. Skin will form on the top but you'll have this, just stir it up. :thumb:

PLEASE....tell me. I had a relative that worked at the EHT restaurant. Hard as they tried the recipe was NOWHERE to be found. I'd really appreciate knowing something that's close to it.....

It makes it pretty believable if in fact the recipe is only cheese and water, that there was no need to write that one down.

While searching for the recipe online I ran across a few responses from former employees that said things like "I can't say what it is, but it's so easy you'll laugh, don't over think it."

Mmmmmmm....... Best looking sammie I've seen in a long time!! Great job Jason! :-D

It makes it pretty believable if in fact the recipe is only cheese and water, that there was no need to write that one down.

No farkin way......trying that for game 2 tomorrow. If it works (and I'm sure it will), you've just fulfilled a dream I've had for a long time.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Great sandwich, i'm glad you got it in in time for the vote. :thumb:

I missed the game yesterday but I have to give huge props to NBC for making every playoff game available in every market. Being on the west coast we wouldn't normally have access to so many games, the Flyers Penguins series was fun to watch.

No farkin way......trying that for game 2 tomorrow. If it works (and I'm sure it will), you've just fulfilled a dream I've had for a long time.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yes farking way brother. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! Let me know what you think. It seemed pretty right on to me.

Great sandwich, i'm glad you got it in in time for the vote. :thumb:

I missed the game yesterday but I have to give huge props to NBC for making every playoff game available in every market. Being on the west coast we wouldn't normally have access to so many games, the Flyers Penguins series was fun to watch.

Thanks man, i'm glad I got it in too. Nothing like taking a bunch of pictures and having everyone at the party think you're nuts then falling asleep and almost missing the deadline. :beer:

That flyers pens series was one for the ages. Who needs defense anyway? Sorry about the Sharks, I was pulling for ya.

Looks fabulous to me! I'll take a hoagie to go!

Thanks Tom! I would, but I have a feeling it wouldn't make it past the drug sniffing dogs at the post office! :grin: The good news is you have the recipe now. Go for it, you can thank me later. :thumb:

Back