Addicted to rubs?

Well, I didn't make that argument so I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss here.

If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything? :wink:

I'll just leave this here

9p6mrNql.jpg

I'm just pissin' in the wind here.... no point in arguing, you guys like what you like.

SonVolt, I don't disagree with the statements you've made about the brands you've mentioned (except Dizzy Pig). Shoot me your mailing address in a PM. I'll send you one of our VIP Sample Packs free of charge. It has a sample of every rub we make. I'd like to change your opinion and perhaps even rock your world... :becky: :becky:

Seriously. Send me your addy.

:thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything? :wink:

Dizzy Pig, yes. Some others, absolutely not.

SonVolt, I don't disagree with the statements you've made about the brands you've mentioned (except Dizzy Pig). Our VIP Sample Packs has a sample of every rub we make. I'd like to change your opinion and perhaps even rock your world... :becky: :becky:

Thanks for the suggestion of a VIP pack. I went right over and ordered one. Looking forward to testing it out.

Last edited:
SonVolt, I don't disagree with the statements you've made about the brands you've mentioned (except Dizzy Pig). Shoot me your mailing address in a PM. I'll send you one of our VIP Sample Packs free of charge. It has a sample of every rub we make. I'd like to change your opinion and perhaps even rock your world... :becky: :becky:

Mike in the picture I posted above your post with the exception of the 2 small bottles on the left with wing dust in them.
All the other small bottles in the front are your rubs. :thumb:
Thank you!

Wow, that's awesome! I hope you sent your address... If you're too stubborn to send him your's, send him mine.... :thumb:

I'll send you mine :becky:

I’ll gladly send him/her my address and provide honest feedback. I have no qualms being proven wrong. As far as “stubbornness”, some of you are confusing not toeing the line with snobbery and/or belligerence. I got into BBQ as a seasoned cook, not the other way around, so my approach to food may not align with many of you. That’s ok.

This is very entertaining! :-D I used to be into rubs but have kinda gone the way of doing everything myself. Not because I think I can make a better rub(I can't), but because I've come to the place where I think simple suits me best. I've heard Malcolm Reed say the same thing. He has all his fancy rubs to sell and use for comps but he basically sticks with sp&g and might add a few other things when he cooks at home. I like bbq because you can do things so many different ways. Aaron Franklin always talks about the way he does things but is quick to add that you can do it however you want. The only thing I think is a constant is that your first priority has to be the cook. You can use fancy rubs and slathers and mops and wrapping mixtures and injections. But if your cook isn't executed right than the guy who only uses salt but cooks right will make a better product.

FWIW,

I ordered the vip sample pack from Oakridge, most I liked, some I didn't... The carne, secret weapon, and santa maria has all been reordered. For me, I'd rather focus on the cook and smoke with baseline ingredients, meaning for example, I go to the same butcher for bone in pork chops cut the same thickness, then I brine them with secret weapon and cook them the same way... it (for me) is consistency... I could experiment but there are so many hours in the day....

Just my humble opinion...

Thanks,
Greg

I’ll gladly send him/her my address and provide honest feedback. I have no qualms being proven wrong. As far as “stubbornness”, some of you are confusing not toeing the line with snobbery and/or belligerence. I got into BBQ as a seasoned cook, not the other way around, so my approach to food may not align with many of you. That’s ok.

you still dont get it. it's not about towing the line. it's not that you do things from a trained cooks perspective. you tried to use the classic strawman argument of homemade is better because you make it at home and we dont buy it. lots of good reasons make your own rubs. personal preference, cost savings, it's fun to experiment.

while that's all true making rubs from scratch or using a premade rubs for that matter do not make or break a cook.

I have just about the entire oakridge bbq lineup in my cupboard. for the amount I use I dont see the point in buying all the spices needed to make my own and would never use all that stuff before it lost its quality. I've been down the rub making trail. I have a 3/4 full jar of turmeric and a bottle of caraway seeds missing a pinch. I'll never use either of them completely, they are now 5 years old and I could have bought an equal amount of quality rub with that money that I'd actually use

The Kosmos SPG and Killer Hogs TX are more of a coarse grind. The Killer Hogs AP rub is pretty finely ground. TX rub is heavy on pepper and I like that. They are all good.

I will admit that I have entirely too many different rubs. I have made my own as well. It is just fun to try new stuff. I got a bunch of Albukirky rubs and have had a heckuva time messing with those. To each their own.

Could not have said it better...I love the grit on the Kosmos SPG.

I'm just pissin' in the wind here.... no point in arguing, you guys like what you like.

You are pissing on yourself. Nobody here has a problem with making your own rub. But being labeled as amateur because you use commercial rubs could definitely be viewed as inflammatory, but that seems to be a trend with you.

You could have started a "I Hate Commercial Rubs" thread, but instead you chose to blast another thread about someone's excitement for trying new commercial rubs.

I've always wanted to try some of the rubs that get so much attention on here, but have shied away due mainly to cost and shipping. End up making my own, which I (we) usually think are good (decent). Maybe one day I'll jump in..

I’d love to have time to concoct my own. For now I am happy to use commercial and hope someday to graduate to refining my own blend. I’m fortunate that there’s no shipping in my supply chain. My daily bike ride passes Dizzy Pig HQ, and my local Ace stocks them as another local retail outlet. I know from talking to the owner that Ace picks up from the factory, and sometimes gets newly released or limited release products. So there’s no incentive to change there. I’d prefer to craft it all myself but don’t have patience for the learning curve at the moment.

So where do you source spices you’re sure are fresh? And then keep them fresh?

I’m fairly confident that the spices I buy from Penzey’s are fresh, until they sit on my shelf after first use until I need them again. OTOH a commercial producer isn’t going to have ingredients sitting around unused, that’s costly. I’m lucky that I can buy direct from factory store or from a retailer that picks up at the factory so no shipping delay, their commercial product is likely fresher than anything else in my kitchen (well, except the meat 😉).

I wonder if the top comp cooks use commercial rubs?

Seems like at least some of them sell commercial rubs. Question is, do they sell exactly what they use? Or do they leverage the reputation to sell more generic blends?

Back