• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker Preferences for Catering

Never had a client complain about the service because of the lack of a show. The smell has done it for all of them. It doesn't seem practical to buy something that costs more to run and takes more time to use especial as you business grows. Just my thoughts.

I agree, people stand around to smell the smoke.

Your biggest decision to make is do you want to tend a fire or run your catering business?

I love my Klose for catering. The dog and pony show is something customers really do like. It alone will not get you jobs, but it does add to the ambiance of a party in a way that standing around a cabinet does not. I did a party last year where they took a section of fence out so my Klose could be placed in the backyard. I think another brethren caterer has had the same request. As Phil says in another thread, it's the "BBQ Show"...

That said, I think you need both. I am buying a Backwoods to mount on my Klose. There are too many times(like always) that you need the flexibility of multiple temp zones that no one cooker can provide. Also, the more you cater, the more you are going to need a set it and forget it type cooker. there are just times it is not a good use of time and energy dicking with your stick burner...

I don't think it probably matters which one you start out with...

my pellet pooper does a great show! i find people are amazed how easy it is. thay think its cool... and i have time to talk to them i know my temp will be there.

my pellet pooper does a great show! i find people are amazed how easy it is. thay think its cool... and i have time to talk to them i know my temp will be there.

That's the thing about a good stick burner, it will hold temps well, and as long as your food backs it up, it will say you are a "BBQ Man" in a way that cabinets never will...

That's the thing about a good stick burner, it will hold temps well, and as long as your food backs it up, it will say you are a "BBQ Man" in a way that cabinets never will...

I learned on a stick burner and it's not a feasible choice with constant volume cooking in a vending and catering situation. I can switch back and forth between the two with ease but to say you are more of a BBQ man because you can use a stick burner seems a bit far fetched.

I love my Backwoods for the capacity, the flavor it produces, the ease of moving it, and lots of other reasons, but I have to agree with the stick burners here.
I've catered several times using Big Brother Smoke's rig (I'm still waiting for my "Pit Master" shirt) and a few times with my Backwoods. I can tell you that the stick burner requires more attention, but also elicits a "better" response.
People are very interested in the Backwoods and I'll answer the questions that arise, but that's about it. The stick burner, however...well, that's a whole different world. There is pure envy that arises. Men (mostly) see this cooker and they start dreaming about what they could do with it. They all see this big, beautiful rig with the "show" going on...logs being fed into the firebox, smoke wafting from the big chrome stack, me cursing 'cause my toe still hurts from moving Mista's Spicebox...OK, maybe not the last part, but you get the picture. People are salivating over the show and the smell of the oak logs burning. Customers know the food is good before they ever get to taste it.
A guy sees a box cooker like a new vacuum; let me check it out and see how it works, but I don't really need to have one. A stick burner brings out the Neanderthal in all of us; fire good...meat cooked over fire even better!
Obviously this is solely a comparison for the "Wow" factor, and it is only my opinion, but trying to add food for thought...

Another good pit that is high capacity for the $$ is a Kingfisher. Those are good catering rigs. They require more tending than an FEC/Spicepit/etc but will hold a ton of food, and tend to cook it evenly....

I love my Backwoods for the capacity, the flavor it produces, the ease of moving it, and lots of other reasons, but I have to agree with the stick burners here.
I've catered several times using Big Brother Smoke's rig (I'm still waiting for my "Pit Master" shirt) and a few times with my Backwoods. I can tell you that the stick burner requires more attention, but also elicits a "better" response.
People are very interested in the Backwoods and I'll answer the questions that arise, but that's about it. The stick burner, however...well, that's a whole different world. There is pure envy that arises. Men (mostly) see this cooker and they start dreaming about what they could do with it. They all see this big, beautiful rig with the "show" going on...logs being fed into the firebox, smoke wafting from the big chrome stack, me cursing 'cause my toe still hurts from moving Mista's Spicebox...OK, maybe not the last part, but you get the picture. People are salivating over the show and the smell of the oak logs burning. Customers know the food is good before they ever get to taste it.
A guy sees a box cooker like a new vacuum; let me check it out and see how it works, but I don't really need to have one. A stick burner brings out the Neanderthal in all of us; fire good...meat cooked over fire even better!
Obviously this is solely a comparison for the "Wow" factor, and it is only my opinion, but trying to add food for thought...

I totally get your point but from a business stand point when you have something that will produce the same quality food for half the effort and allows you to increase you business that is a no brianer. I will not loose a single job or get fewer referrals because I no longer have one.To each his own:rolleyes:

I totally get your point but from a business stand point when you have something that will produce the same quality food for half the effort and allows you to increase you business that is a no brianer.

With a quality pit, or even one you are very familiar with, the only additional effort is adding a log every 45 minutes or so. Is there something that goes on in other pits that I don't know about? For an overnight cook, go with a Spice/Backwoods/etc. but how long are you actually at a customer's site cooking...maybe 4-5 hours? That's less than 10 times you need to add wood. Besides, aren't you working around the cooker doing other things? It's not as if you are going out of your way to add wood.

I will not loose a single job or get fewer referrals because I no longer have one.To each his own:rolleyes:

I won't debate this, as I don't know you, or your customers, or your volume. You are correct, though. To each his own :biggrin:

I use a Spicewine and "I" am the show.
Yes, you are definitely some kind of show :mrgreen: Neil is one of those rare exceptions. He could be cooking on a shopping cart and people are excited about it. Some are just born with the gift of gab.

If you recall I was asking about this same subject a few weeks back. I currently have eggs and a stumps gf223. Of course the eggs are useless as far as volume goes and the stumps is probably one of the best smokers on the market for producing moderate amounts of bbq. That said, I do cater and this past weekend I did three jobs of about 30 folks each.... let me tell you that was a pain in the arse...therefore I agree with you on that point. Here is what I have come up with.... I think the thing to decide is what type of catering you are gonna do.... therefore what types of meats will you most likely cook and what kind of volume will you do?

Also... when you are cooking for profit, you need to know that time is your profit. Therefore you need a set it and forget it type cooker or at least one where you can attend to other aspects of the job instead of tending to the fire.

Here is where I am.... I mainly use the stumps with a stoker therefore I have set it and forget it.... BUT.... When that cooker is loaded down as in every rack full, it cooks all kinds of crazy therefore it requires attention. Therefore it is holding me back on the big jobs. One way I get around that is to smoke the meats for about 3-4 hours (gives them the color and the smoke flavor) then wrap them in foil and finish via other means such as in the oven. This is something to consider when cooking various types of meats at various temps.

While I love the vertical style cookers such as the stumps, when loaded down the airflow is stymied and there are all kinds of hot spots and chances or flare-ups which could cost quite a few $ plus the time to have to recook....that wouldn't be good. I have also seen flare-ups in the backwoods and the spicewines. Again the attention required to insure that this doesn't happen isn't worth the hassle.

I have looked and thought this out and decided the way to go to get the capability for volume and not having to worry about flare ups when the cooker is loaded is probably...... the kingfisher rotisserie. If need be you can cook a whole mess of meats at one time and not have to worry about hot spots which can be a real pain when cooking volume....

Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't be the way to go?

I load my BWS Profesional and Competitor with convection to the gills weekly with no issues ever. The rotisserie cookers do have and advantage with very large volumes and I will be switching to them in the near future.{FEC 500} but at his stage I think it's not a necessaty just an option.

I have been cooking everynight for the last month on my med spice for upcoming vending. I start it with two starters of charcoal at 7pm, throw one more at midnight, and when I wake up, 10-12 butts ready to pull. I wish I had the money now for a huge spice it works great for me.

Good info. I'm wondering if others experience the same fluctuations with their Stump's when it's fully loaded up. I've heard you can get by with about 15 butts without disturbing airflow too much. Would you say that's about right or what has your experience been?

I use a Spicewine and "I" am the show.

I totally agree with this statement! And whether it's a Spicewine, an FEC or even some WSM's, you will have time to be the show... Let the guys be envious not of my cooker but cuz all their women are visiting with me:wink::wink::wink:

from a business standpoint i have a set it and forget it southern pride.a guy down the road has a stick burnerall he does is fiddle with it and turn out crap Q my sp sits out back load and forget it i could not imagine not having it.trying to run a business takes up 25 hours a day i just dont have time for stick burner.... and my q comes out the same time after time and this keeps my cust. happy.

Back