St Louis Ribs finish temp?

Smoked Ham

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am smoking my first racks of St Louis Ribs today, what temp should I look for at finish?

Very few use internal temps for ribs. When the meat has pulled back about a half inch from the end of the bones and the rack bends fairly easily when you lift it from one end, they are done.

How the hell do you measure the temp of ribs when you have a 1/4" of meat at the most?

Go with the bend test. Pick the rack up from one end and if it droops to almost 90*, they're done!

what bubba said, you will see the meat start to separate, done:-D, rest allitle, and enjoy :-D

Its the bend in the rib and the meat from the bones retreacting. I don't know or have ever known of anyone checking for internal temps on ribs.

Once you smoke a couple of racks you'll get a feal for the right time. Ribs reall are about timing. Not to much on internal temps. 220-250 4-6 hours.

What Bubba said! Temps are not a criteria for ribs. Good luck bro!!

See all the above...^^^...plus you can add the "tear test"...

Take hold of two adjacent bones toward the middle of the slab and give them a pull. If the meat offers a bit of resistance but then tears easily, you know the ribs are done just right

Good Luck...:p

don't really know what else to say, they are all right so good luck:p:p

As has been mentioned, I look for the meat to pull back from the bone ends a tad........

I then insert a toothpick between the bones. If it goes in easy and pull out clean, them ribs are done.

How the hell do you measure the temp of ribs when you have a 1/4" of meat at the most?

Go with the bend test. Pick the rack up from one end and if it droops to almost 90*, they're done!
The ones I got were really thick, about 3/4 to 1 inch thick, two slabs weighed about 3.75 lbs each. So I was able to stick probe in, I also did the bend test and that seemed to help me as I am still learning.

Thanks for everyone's help :grin: they turned out great.

Back