Here are a couple of photos of the lid. I have to confess that I have full access to welders, cnc plasma cutters, a press brake, and a full machine shop. This was my first go. I think in the next few months I will have a bunch of these seeing how I found a barrell source for 16 dollars. We also have a sandblaster so my next barrell will be a lined one that I sandblast myself. I do have some grinding to do on this lid before I can paint it.
IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Something similar from Turner Biodiesel, less work and a little bit of fabrication for the seal and exhaust;

coneband.jpg

ropet.jpg

conedone.jpg

Very cool, love the fire box acess pannel.
I have a question for a couple of UDs Im building. Sorry if the answer is in here somewhere.

Is it better to have the chimney with an adjustable damper? Or is just open and close good enough? Looks like most of them just have an open stack.

Just open and closed.
Open when in use, closed to shut it down. Control the temp with the intakes.

Thanks much, Im kinda rusing cuase they are for a user that has to get them going soon for an event.

Anybody know a decent budget thermometer? I went to a BBQ store and the cheapest one was like $35. Does home depot have them?

Cool thanks, I was gonna head there tonight but never made it. Ill try there tomorrow.

Should wrap these up tomorrow, ill post some pics, they are little different with cut off drums as lids. May be a little heavy.

So I drilled an extra hole about 7" below the top of my UDS. I wasn't paying attention. The hole diameter is so small. It's about the size of the smallest bit in my drill kit. Should I leave it or drill a little larger and put a screw in it?

So I drilled an extra hole about 7" below the top of my UDS. I wasn't paying attention. The hole diameter is so small. It's about the size of the smallest bit in my drill kit. Should I leave it or drill a little larger and put a screw in it?

Have you cooked on it yet? I say leave it alone until you see how it cooks. You can always throw a cheap magnet over it unti it cools down enough to mod.

Heck, attach a mini elbowed smoke stack to that hole to trick it out. Might be the next new thing. Let us know what you do, regardless.

Best of luck dude.

Hey Crash you might have something there! We always lower the exhaust on an offset to grate level why not on a UDS. But then again it's a whole different design.

couple of questions

First of all I got a drum for my kiss UDS. The drum contained a water soluble coolant used for machine shop. I cut the top off and the inside has a black surface like a paint of sorts. I am able to cut right through it with a wire wheel down to bare metal. My concern is after I clean it up the steel surface is rough or porous its not smooth like some of the other drums I've seen. After burning all the paint off the outside with a weed burner the inside doesn't change much. Would this concern any of you and has anybody ever had any experience with this type of drum. My second question is my charcoal basket. I misread or misunderstood but I made a basket using a grate from a 22.5 grill so it is approx 18 inch diameter. Is this wide of a basket a good or bad thing. Thanks

First of all I got a drum for my kiss UDS. The drum contained a water soluble coolant used for machine shop. I cut the top off and the inside has a black surface like a paint of sorts. I am able to cut right through it with a wire wheel down to bare metal. My concern is after I clean it up the steel surface is rough or porous its not smooth like some of the other drums I've seen. After burning all the paint off the outside with a weed burner the inside doesn't change much. Would this concern any of you and has anybody ever had any experience with this type of drum. My second question is my charcoal basket. I misread or misunderstood but I made a basket using a grate from a 22.5 grill so it is approx 18 inch diameter. Is this wide of a basket a good or bad thing. Thanks

If its down to bare metal you should be fine. Once you get a good seasoning in the drum you will never know since it will be covered in cooked on oil. 18" is fine for a fire basket. That is usually the base for most baskets that people make.

Finished my second UDS, just waiting for the paint to cure for a week before I season it.
I like your lid. Mine is going to have a flat lid as well. 2 questions: With a flat lid, how far from the top is your grill grate, 2nd: how'd you get the caps on your lid? I was going to drill 8 holes and just use magnets to close them off, but your lid looks sharp.

I like your lid. Mine is going to have a flat lid as well. 2 questions: With a flat lid, how far from the top is your grill grate, 2nd: how'd you get the caps on your lid? I was going to drill 8 holes and just use magnets to close them off, but your lid looks sharp.

I have two grates, my first grate from the top is 4 inches and my second grate is 9 inches. As far as the caps, I used a 1" hole saw to drill the holes and a 3/4" pipe plug screws right in. I just primed them and painted them to match.

Here is some progress photos of one of the two UDS I am building.

I posted this in another thread but not to many UDS people going through there so Ill post here too.

DSC01222.jpg

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

Have to install the intakes, season the inside and paint the outside, then they should be ready to go.

I find this thread very upsetting....I went out and Spent a crap load of money on a pellet grill, and then trying to figure out how to use the stupid thing I stumble upon this wonderful world of brethren, and I think to myself damn...I hit the information jackpot!

Then I find this thread....arg!!!

The "best" bbq coming off UDS's...made anywhere from $10-$100....You all know the amount of meat I could have bought with the money I spent on my pellet grill...

Now I have to explain to my wife that I need to stock pile more stuff in my garage until I can make an "Ugly Drum Smoker"! she's gonna say..."WHAT THE FARK IS THAT!!!!"...

will take me about 3 months to get permission, but i am confident that buy the end of summer I will have my own UDS.....

Thanks everyone! (and I truley so mean it...this site is awesome!)

Dave

Workin' on some baby backs and I'm trying the foil method (3-2-1) and both times I took the lid off to foil and unfoil, I got a temp spike. Is the benefit of the foil method worth it to get a temp spike or should I just forget the foil and leave the lid on til they are done. I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle. Any opinions? I even shut the intake down a few minutes before taking the lid off!

Not an expert, but when I just did rib tips on my UDS I shut all intakes and closed exhaust down for 10 minutes before removing lid and never had any temp spikes..May not have gave it enough time.

whenever you take the lid off on a UDS you'll get that dang temp spike.but it doesn't last too long, and has little effect. I like the foil method..but for baby backs, I only use the 2-2-1 method...spare ribs get the 3-2-1- method.

Dan

Thx brickie and flyweed makes sense sounds like some good advice. I will def try that next time. Pulling the ribs off now i will post some pron in a while.

I find this thread very upsetting....I went out and Spent a crap load of money on a pellet grill, and then trying to figure out how to use the stupid thing I stumble upon this wonderful world of brethren, and I think to myself damn...I hit the information jackpot!

Then I find this thread....arg!!!

The "best" bbq coming off UDS's...made anywhere from $10-$100....You all know the amount of meat I could have bought with the money I spent on my pellet grill...

Now I have to explain to my wife that I need to stock pile more stuff in my garage until I can make an "Ugly Drum Smoker"! she's gonna say..."WHAT THE FARK IS THAT!!!!"...

will take me about 3 months to get permission, but i am confident that buy the end of summer I will have my own UDS.....

Thanks everyone! (and I truley so mean it...this site is awesome!)

Dave
Hey Dave, It's easier to get forgiveness than get permission.:boxing: Happy Victoria Day!

Back