• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition ribs

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
May have been asked before but I cannot find it so here goes. In comps what rib do you use and why? Baby backs ? spares? Stlouis cut? Trying to decide what to do.
Michael

Last edited:
Its really up to up to you
from the entries i have been able to judges it is bout 60-40 in favor of spares on the kcbs side and on MBN side it is all loin back.

I can't get BB's to hold enough smoke without going dry.

* I think someone should post a chart so whe know where each named cut of rib's comes from. ie short ribs, bb, spare *

Both are used frequently and I don't think one is better than the other. Start out with the one you are most familar and comfortable cooking. If after several contests, you are not pleased with the results, then make the switch and compare.

I've used both with similar results. Last season I went exclusively with St. Louis spares mainly because they were cheaper.

Around here I cannot find stlouis cut spares. I have to do it myself. And am not a butcher if you know what I meen. I am comfortable with either.

Around here I cannot find stlouis cut spares. I have to do it myself. And am not a butcher if you know what I meen. I am comfortable with either.
Chibi,
There are a couple of really good videos on youtube that show how to trim them St. Louis style easily...

Thanks I will look that up. Did some today. Will do a post with pron later after I eat.

I can't get BB's to hold enough smoke without going dry.

* I think someone should post a chart so whe know where each named cut of rib's comes from. ie short ribs, bb, spare *

There is such a chart right here.

We use St. Louis style spares in comps. After cooking BBs this weekend at home we may switch to BBs. They came out great!

I prefer St. Louis cut spares, more meat and better flavor in my opinion.

I generally use St. Louis spares, we have tried to use BB, but as our scores come back, I am rethinking that.

We use spares that we trim ourselves St. Louis style. Hollywood cut for IBCA contests.

I prefer St. Louis style spares. They are generally straighter and do not have as many ligaments as Loin backs. Also I don't like the appearance of the ribbon meat on loin backs and I think it can be a mistake to use loin backs with loin meat attached ( small pork chop). I've ask Reps about these cuts and I think it should not be allowed. The loin in my opinion is not "rib meat". Rib meat is intercostal muscle.

I use Loin backs. (aka. babybacks).
I was told there is no such thing as Babyback ribs anymore cause they don't use young pigs too much these days. i could be wrong though. I figure I'm safe calling them Loin backs.

But it is really what ever rib you want to cook and can cook well for comps.

Henry Perry maybe? It had to be a Perry.

I have heard it called the Cadillac Cut too.

I generally have been using BB Ribs. I want to try St. Louis styye but I need practice cutting them first. Maybe I will try them at my next Comp. Too late to change now as my first Comp of the year is this weekend

Back