How much fits on OTG 22?

FiremanMike

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I think I decided on the OTG 22, but I wanted to make sure it'll feed my family of 5, occasionally we have guests. My current grill is the chargriller side by side gas/charcoal, I don't really have any issue feeding them using just one side or the other, if that comparison helps....

I'm not really interested in spending that much right now unless absolutely necessary. I've spent a decent chunk on my back yard already..

I have both a 26 and 22, while the 26 may not sound much larger, it is. It is also double the price. If you could swing it, I would get the 26, also if you do any indirect cooking you will have a lot more space on the 26. I think a 22 would be fine for most occasions though. The 22 has been feeding families for decades.

In that case I would try to find (2) 22's on craigslist. You can pick up silvers on there all the time for under 50.00 each and upgrade them to a gold with parts from amazon.

The 22in OTG fits quit a bit of food on it. I can comfortably fit enough food on it w/ direct cooking for 4-5 people. For indirect cooking you lose some space and it might be a tight squeeze if you are trying to fit veggies etc on at the same time the meat is on.

I typically cook on my OTG for myself and 2 roommates (both guys) and we have leftovers that I can bring for lunch the next day and eat for dinner the next day.

How much fits depends on how you are cooking. If you are doing direct heat for grilling you can get a lot of food on a 22.5. Probably 20 or so burgers, 8-10 steaks or chops (depending on size), a whole bunch of sausages.

If you do as I do and use two zones (half of the grate direct, half indirect) you can still fit 8-10 burgers, 4-6 steaks or chops and still a lot of sausage.

If you are going to roast whole chicken, turkey, pork roasts, beef roasts, etc. I set up two fires, one on each side and put the roast in the middle. I've done 16 lb turkeys this way.

I cook for 7-8 people regularly on my 22.5. With a chimney of charcoal I can easily grill 8-10 burgers and have room for some hot dogs.

When setting up for indirect cooking, I use firebricks and pile up about 1/3 of the kettle with charcoal and have room on the other side for two butts (~8-9 lbs each).

How much fits depends on how you are cooking. If you are doing direct heat for grilling you can get a lot of food on a 22.5. Probably 20 or so burgers, 8-10 steaks or chops (depending on size), a whole bunch of sausages.

If you do as I do and use two zones (half of the grate direct, half indirect) you can still fit 8-10 burgers, 4-6 steaks or chops and still a lot of sausage.

If you are going to roast whole chicken, turkey, pork roasts, beef roasts, etc. I set up two fires, one on each side and put the roast in the middle. I've done 16 lb turkeys this way.

I should have mentioned I have a wife and all daughters, that sounds like plenty of space for me!

Thanks!

Until recently we routinely cooked for a family of 5 (3 big eaters + me & my wife) on a 22 Performer. Never had any problem with cooking real estate for steak, chicken burgers or fish. I think you will be just fine with a 22 OTG and its a really great versatile cooker.

PS: I upgraded to the 26.75 OTG when my son moved out and took his Performer with him and really like cooking on it.

FiremanMike- I also think the 22.5 is big enough. Search the Columbus CL for "weber". There's a Performer (w/ chimney and cover) for $100.

I am a believer in the pick the size you need then go one size bigger. You will thank yourself later. You get this then realize how much you love it. Then you'll get better and better at cooking, then everyone in your extended family will want to be over for dinner, then all your friends and neighbors, then you'll sit there and say............I should have bought the 26 (or ranch kettle ;) ).

Just from experience.

Also the added room will definitely help with indirect cooking. It gets a little tight in a 22' and you get a little too much direct heat on your bigger cuts. It can be done, just harder.

Boy that performer platinum is nice.. Sadly it's just too much above my price range at this point..

Thanks for the link to that local performer, I might check it out.

Back