NOOB wanting to learn!

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been BBQing for about a year and in that time have probably done 16 home cooks varying from Pork Shoulders, to ribs, to brisket, to turkey. Most with home rubs made from home grown peppers and other stuff. Love it but I'm ready to start getting to the next level which means hitting some of the comps, seeing what goes on, sampling flavours, and all that fun stuff. So if you are in need of a grunt or two (my buddy Craig) in the Dallas, TX area or TX let me know. I'm handy with a knife, keep a mean fire pit, and clean pretty good (according to my wife I clean like a guy but she is OCD when it comes to clean).

I'm currently looking for a list of competitions in the Dallas TX area from various orgs so I can go. Also hoping to complete a KCBS judging course here pretty soon.

Gerry
Only way to get better is to ask questions and practice!

I would recommend looking at the International BBQ Society (IBCA), the Lonestar BBQ Society and the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Society. These are prolly the 3 largest BBQ org's in Texas. The KCBS does not have a large presence in Texas. There has been mainly one consistent event up near where you are every year. I believe there is also another event that is KCBS this coming year and there is the Sam club event.

I am from the Austin area and have competed in mostly IBCA events over the years. These 3 org's differ a lot from the KCBS and you will not gain much from taking a KCBS judging class to understand the judging process of these 3 org's.

I will hopefully be competing in the Westworth Sam's club event and you are more than welcome to come by if I get in. I will find out this Wednesday.

Also you will see that a lot of people compete at the events in Texas, probably so of the best comp turnouts that I have seen. I have done comps in Tenesse, Indiana, and Kansas so far. Right now I am in Florida and I am gearing up for the FBA 2013 season, provided I do not move somewhere else in the next month. My job takes me to different places right now.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

I would recommend looking at the International BBQ Society (IBCA), the Lonestar BBQ Society and the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Society. These are prolly the 3 largest BBQ org's in Texas. The KCBS does not have a large presence in Texas. There has been mainly one consistent event up near where you are every year. I believe there is also another event that is KCBS this coming year and there is the Sam club event.

I am from the Austin area and have competed in mostly IBCA events over the years. These 3 org's differ a lot from the KCBS and you will not gain much from taking a KCBS judging class to understand the judging process of these 3 org's.

I will hopefully be competing in the Westworth Sam's club event and you are more than welcome to come by if I get in. I will find out this Wednesday.

Also you will see that a lot of people compete at the events in Texas, probably so of the best comp turnouts that I have seen. I have done comps in Tenesse, Indiana, and Kansas so far. Right now I am in Florida and I am gearing up for the FBA 2013 season, provided I do not move somewhere else in the next month. My job takes me to different places right now.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

I agree. I think KCBS usually has only 3 to 5 comps, at most, in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all and thanks bcaggie07, I might take you up on that. I'm not so much looking at the KCBS judging class for how to judge but as an opportunity to learn, if that makes sense.

I just downloaded the IBCA and the Lonestar BBQ schedules ... is it possible to attend, walk around and while not pester the contestants, learn? Having never been to an event I am not sure what protocol is.

GMD, unless you are going to compete or judge KCBS events, I wouldn't even worry about KCBS anything. You can pretty much learn what you want by watching Pitmasters season 1. Judging is quite different. In IBCA, LoneStar and Tx Gulf Coast you are not even allowed to sample the turn-ins with your hands. A new plastic knife and fork are used for every box you sample. This changes the standards of tenderness between TX and KCBS comps. No pretty chicken thighs with bite through skin either, we do chicken halves. No burnt ends either. And best of all - NO GARNISH ALLOWED! :razz:That's why I say don't worry about KCBS. But yes you are allowed to roam the comp. grounds and talk to people. Late Friday is probably best to talk to teams. Or you can just look for people sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing Sat. morning. That's what I did.:biggrin1: BTW so long as you are at least 16 (maybe 18?) you can judge TX comps so long as they need judges of course. Smaller comps are easy to walk up and be a judge, larger ones you need to contact them early if you want to judge. My best advice would attend the closest comp to you and just walk around and ask questions. You'd be surprised how helpful the teams and organizers are. Then start practicing cause you'll probably have the bug after that.

Last edited:
Just let me know if you are interested.

I agree with JS-TX as well. Try judging an IBCA eve

Sorry did not finish my post.

Try judging an IBCA event. You will also be able to walk around and talk to teams. That way you get a chance to eat food and talk with people. I would recommend that you try and judge the final table, that way you get to try the best food put out that day.

Bcaggie07 I'm definitely interested and I already have the bug lol. I've got smokes planned at home three times a month right now all year lol.

Something tells me you might not make it half way through the year before your 1st cook off. Check out some online BBQ comp. checklists. Once you have most of your stuff, do a comp. Best way to learn and of course you'll have tons of fun.:biggrin1:

I know its not in the Dallas area but KCBS has a contest in March, out in Midland TX.

I've actually got the a couple check lists and most of the gear needed. I was ordering a pit 2 months ago when we had a family emergency the diverted the funds but the $6K slush fund is about recovered. I have a cheapo offset from Academy Sporting Goods that doesn't do bad except requires a blanket when cold and has limited space. So when I practice I'm only able to pretty much do one meat at a time.

These are the events I marked down on my calendar and for the most part have clearance from the wife to go check out.

Events:
KCBS:

33rd American Royal
10/04 - 10/07
Kanasas, City

March 08-09 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour
Westworth Village, TX (Just west of Ft Worth)

March 29-30 Firelake BBQ Cook-oof
Shawnee, OK (4-5 hour drive)

August 31 - Sept 1
City of Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival
Bedford, TX

IBCA:

March 01
Knights of Columbus 8417 BBQ Cook-off
TX State Championship
Waxahachie, TX

April 19
Terrell Heritage Jubilee