• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Am. Royal Invitational vs. Open

Uncle Willy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So 2013 will be my first year at the American Royal and I have a couple questions. We have been invited to the Invitational, what are the main differences between the Invitational and the Open? If I'm going to be cooking the Invitational anyway should I just cook the Open as well?
Any input y'all have would be appreciated.

You're going to be there anyway, you might as well cook both. We cooked both this year and it's a long weekend. As far as differences go, there are about 140 teams in the Invitational and well over 500 in the Open. You'll be cooking Friday night for the Invitational and Friday night is BIG party night at the Royal...don't get distracted. The Saturday night cook for the Open is much more mellow.

It's a long weekend doing two cooks in 3 days but you have to do it once just to say you did it. And if you should be lucky enough to get a call, it will all be worth it.

There were 154 teams in the invitational this year. I think they frown on you not doing both if you are there.

I preferred the invitational this year...heheheh

If you do the Invitational and not the Open, they usually place those teams near the exit, because you have to be out Saturday after awards.

We cooked both for the first time this year...it is an experience we will never forget and one every comp team should do...at least once! Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the difference in payouts is between Invitational and Open?

we won $10,000 for the invitational win I dont know what we made on our categories....just waiting for the dough...I think the open payed $12.5

You don't do either of these contests for the money. It is all about hearing your name called just once. You need to look at it for the experience that it is. Getting the chance to compete against the very best is an honor and privilege. Cook them both and have the time of your life! Definitely a bucket list item!

I live 3 hours away and doing the pair of contests costs $2,000 m/l. Go do both and don't be afraid to get some sleep Friday. If you don't, you'll be dead by Sunday. I think my AR invoice this year was $780. Then you have meat, meals, fuel and alcohol......

We've been there for 5 years. Did both every year. After the first 2, we decide to spit the team. Scott and I do the invitational, and we put together friends to do the open.. last 2 years its been the mods of this forum Team Name for the open...

BBQ Brethren - Youve been Moderated. :)

backs to backs is exhausting and standing on blacktop the whole time doesnt help. YOU MUST get some sleep. The sheer size and engery of the event sucks the juice out of you. Sunday morning, i was wandering around clueless and pre-coffee from 2 days of partying/eating/cooking.. Diva gave me a kickstart with shot of tequilla. :clap2:

so, advice..

start saving $$ now..
do both
get sleep fri AND Sat
consider splitting the team into 2 shifts unless you think yoiu can do both without fallign asleep during sundays turnin(like i did 2 years ago).

i just added up the numebrs from the debit card transactions.
All inclusive during the trip. fuel, hotels, contest incidentals and food/snacks $2281.
entry fee, $680(20x50)
Contest meats.... a little over $650.

its an experience you HAVE to do.... i was hooked after the first year.

You don't do either of these contests for the money. It is all about hearing your name called just once. You need to look at it for the experience that it is. Getting the chance to compete against the very best is an honor and privilege. Cook them both and have the time of your life! Definitely a bucket list item!

I do it for the money but I read Playboy for articles too

:rockon:

point is diva rescued me with a shot, but i was still clueless... that was established when I didnt have coffee, and there was a kuerig in the trailer.. :redface:

...or you could get an RV, live in it for a month, and drive around cooking the Invitational, the Open, Sam's Club, and The Jack in one go.

I am trying to remember what my house looks like. :becky: Would do it again, too, if given the opportunity.

I went looking for you several times and they said "who?"

was in your camp a few times... you seem to be the social butterfly... u did go struttin right by us in your crown and robe though.. but you were walking with your subjects. :bow::bow::bow:

This year was our first year and its a great experience doing both. I would do it again... Just don't get your ribs from bischelmeyers (worst ever).

Back