National BBQ League

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just happened to come across the website and the concept looks really cool. Do these guys basically have a competition within comp at these locations? I’d love to go watch one and check it out, looks like an interactive setup with a goal of involving spectators

Last edited:
I believe that is how they do it? Their competition is at a different time than the others at a bigger competition. MIt is fun to watch. We have several brethren involved, including the hosts BurntfingerBBQ and a couple of teams too.

Some are stand alone, some coincide with another competition. All NBBQL teams cook out of a 10x10 and the events are all streamed live. The idea is to pull back the curtain a bit and encourage interaction. The scoring is also live, meaning as a category gets judged, results are announced including judge feedback. They’ve been a lot of fun so far!

So their website does not seem to list upcoming competitions and how one signs up to judge.. Am I missing something

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217206&page=2
looks like an idea i hade for a sportsmans series and then later tried to get off the ground for a test run in this thread. i would be interested in working with them on some of the ideas i had for it. one thing is the redistribution of the start times and the addition of an appetizer, side dish and desert category so that there would be something being turned in almost on the hour so there could be a leader board. editing could bring it down to a watchable show packaged kind of like a bass fishing show.

I found the videos on their site and loved watching them, really like the concept. I hope they really get the support they neeed. Reminds me of when the major league gaming circuit started for video games, very niche thing but it’s huge now.

It's a good concept, the live scoring and going live on facebook is really cool. But I also miss last year's format. I was hoping to cook a couple events the NBBQL would be at but unfortunately there were complaints from cooks about all the added competition at these events. Pretty sad the world we live in.

I actually think the stand alone events is the long term only way to make it viable. Especially as it grows and expands, whether it was last year or in 5 years, there was probably going to be an issue at some point where people not in the League end up dodging those events. It's too bad that it happened so soon, as I think pretty quickly you'll see it be able to generate enough interest from the public that they wouldn't need much more than the teams in the league, and those trying to earn their way onto it. The format is so much more public friendly than a traditional KCBS event, that I think sponsors would jump all over it.

Loved the format last year! There's nothing wrong with a little competition inside of a competition. Plus it was neat to follow some of the top teams with a behind the scenes look at things.

The BBQ Life long videos are excellent, and some of the best competition footage I think has been put out. It was perfect...if there was just more of them.

Back