Best BBQ in Memphis?

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey bretheren- I'm on the road to Memphis right now for the game tomorrow. First time there. Any awesome BBQ recommendations?

There is a bunch of well know ones. Just google it and check out the reviews.

Rendevous, Charlie Vergo's place is the go to for me and also Corky's on Poplar has always treated me well!

Double Js downtown was excellent. It's behind that tourist trap Central BBQ. Outstanding ribs and pulled pork. The bbq egg rolls are amazing. It's a small spot but the locals told me about it and it didn't disappoint

Don't waste your time on central, that's number 1...

#2 Is, Germantown Commissary is a MUST. It's our favorite.

And number 3 is if your looking for old school cool? Gotta do Rendezvous...

Cool! Thanks guys. Anyone heading to the UCLA game tomorrow?

Memphis BBQ Company is my favorite. Right south of the Liberty Bowl in MS on I 55. 2 MiM winners own the place

Hope you have a great time in Memphis. Was talking with some Co-workers about the game tomorrow. Should be a good one!

I DON"T recommend Rendevous. Worst I have ever had. Best, IMO, is Memphis BBQ, as stated above...

Rendevous, Charlie Vergo's place is the go to for me and also Corky's on Poplar has always treated me well!

I second this... I have been going to both of them from birth and they are amazing... The original location is the only Corky's I would go to!!! Rendevous is a must as well!!

Been to Rendezvous twice, will never go back again. Melissa Cookston's place, Memphis BBQ Company in Horn Lake MS is a must try. Heard good things about Germantown Commissary. Also, Gus's Fried Chicken is a must stop!

Double Js downtown was excellent. It's behind that tourist trap Central BBQ. Outstanding ribs and pulled pork. The bbq egg rolls are amazing. It's a small spot but the locals told me about it and it didn't disappoint
Double J's WAS good. The closed down a while ago.

RacrX, how are you getting to Memphis? I might more thoughts knowing that.

I see we have some differences of opinion going on here.

I've eaten at Central, on Central not the other location, Interstate, and the Rendezvous. I also rate them in that order. I won't waste another trip to Interstate and rate the Rendezvous as the worst tourist trap I've ever been to. Their pork loin is possibly the worst "BBQ" I've ever found. Central is the only joint in Memphis that I'm aware that competes.

I've heard good things about the BBQ Shop on Madison but have never been there. My gal says Marlowe's BBQ is good and she's eaten enough of my Q to have a palate for Q. I've heard great things and terrible things about Germantown Commissary. Corky''s in Memphis may be good but having eaten at a local franchise I won't ever know.

I've not eaten there yet but I really want to try Gus' Fried Chicken.

If you have to go to Rendezvous, the sausage is actually really good.

Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken- not bbq, but its awesome, and they have a great thin sauce "Uncle Lou's Sweet Spicy Love" that is killer on wings.

Back