Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

Thanks im ready to try now. Brisket was the whole reason for locating this site in the first place

Phenomenal post, I wish this was around for my first, second, third, forth... I may just have to go for a brisket this weekend thanks to your inspiration.

great post but i just wish people didn't think brisket is that hard....
take a west(alpine area)texas longhorn brisket w/ skeet & pecan and not get so alton brown on it....well capped meat, case of beer(or 2),salt & pepper.....skeet & pecan & 15 hrs of nothing to do but watch the stars & beers,& meat around 250...(little league fundraiser mod)....wrap & rest on the low end of the pit for a couple- serve @ noon...if the end slice of the flat is fatty or tough- trim more or slice thinner .. the flat point(burnt ends) go in the pintos.....:twisted:
depends on the cut-always....

Now that sounds like someone from Sul Ross! Now you forgot the part about watching for the dang rattlers on the asphalt while your getting rid of all that beer!

Nice post, sure would be nice if someone did one like it on sausage making!

Nice Brisket!!! No wonder I fat when Im not cooking Im sitting here looking at pron

Awesome tutorial!
I'm planning on doing my first (4) this weekend and I've already read this once for each brisket.

Well laid out and to the point. KISS, can't get any better than that! Great JOB:icon_bigsmil

Nice, I plan on doing my first this weekend. I'll definetely use this info. Thanks!

great tutorial. I think sometimes we overthink this whole bbq thing. Simple and basic, sometimes is the best way.:-D

Great instructions and pics .Now i can see what i have been doing wrong and getting shoe leather instead of great tasting, tender brisket. :-D

Now that sounds like someone from Sul Ross! Now you forgot the part about watching for the dang rattlers on the asphalt while your getting rid of all that beer!

Nice post, sure would be nice if someone did one like it on sausage making!
lol sul ross my brother actually is a custom home contractor in alpine,,, i grew up in port A gotta take in the salt air for cooking........

Wow! I wish I found this a couple weeks ago when I did my first (and so far only) brisket. Great info!

This is a great post! I need to have the two newbies on the team study this info.
Thanks for spending the time.

ok... as simple as this is, i think i'm still getting it wrong... my understanding is that the probe should slide into the flat as easily as it does the point... i always get the "butta" feel on the point and never the flat... i have a strange feeling that i'm not letting it cook long enough. great flavor, lots o' juice, pretty tender, just seems to be a little dry on the flat.

i guess the biggest questions i have are:

is the "butta" feel going to be the same feeling as the point?
how long does it last? (meaning if i check it once an hour after 10 hrs, is there a chance i could miss it and over cook it back to being tough again within that hour to check ?)
do you just "rest" it or "wrap and towel" in a cooler after the "butta" feel (and if you do have to "wrap, towel, and cooler" after the "butta" feel for timing if it finishes earlier than expected, would this affect the meat in any way making it not as tender)?

sorry to being up an old post again for something laid out so simple.

It should be very similar.

how long does it last? (meaning if i check it once an hour after 10 hrs, is there a chance i could miss it and over cook it back to being tough again within that hour to check ?)
Don't worry so much about overcooking it to tough unless you fall asleep or something. The tough and dry is because it is underdone, and overdone will simply mean fall apart tender. The juiciness is from the collagen and fat. You have to seriously overcook it for the fat and collagen to go away leaving only dried and charred meat strands.

do you just "rest" it or "wrap and towel" in a cooler after the "butta" feel (and if you do have to "wrap, towel, and cooler" after the "butta" feel for timing if it finishes earlier than expected, would this affect the meat in any way making it not as tender)?
This is why i was trying to keep it simple. After this you add in too many questions, and it really comes down to personal preference. There is no 1 way to make great brisket, period, end of story. My personal preference however is to wrap and place in a cooler for 4 to 6 hours or so. If you find this makes it too tender for you, that means the wrapping/coolering has cooked it further than you want, so adjust as necessary.

The important thing to realize is that tough and dry equals undercooked, not overcooked. Overcooked means fall apart tender (think pulled beef). Unless of course you take this to an extreme and cook it until it is simply burnt. You'll know if this happens though. Instead of noticing how dry and hard it is, you are most likely to notice it tastes like crap.

No problem.:cool: Just realize when starting out you can only get close to the target, not dead center. Keep practicing.

It should be very similar.

Don't worry so much about overcooking it to tough unless you fall asleep or something. The tough and dry is because it is underdone, and overdone will simply mean fall apart tender. The juiciness is from the collagen and fat. You have to seriously overcook it for the fat and collagen to go away leaving only dried and charred meat strands.

This is why i was trying to keep it simple. After this you add in too many questions, and it really comes down to personal preference. There is no 1 way to make great brisket, period, end of story. My personal preference however is to wrap and place in a cooler for 4 to 6 hours or so. If you find this makes it too tender for you, that means the wrapping/coolering has cooked it further than you want, so adjust as necessary.

The important thing to realize is that tough and dry equals undercooked, not overcooked. Overcooked means fall apart tender (think pulled beef). Unless of course you take this to an extreme and cook it until it is simply burnt. You'll know if this happens though. Instead of noticing how dry and hard it is, you are most likely to notice it tastes like crap.

No problem.:cool: Just realize when starting out you can only get close to the target, not dead center. Keep practicing.

thanks again for laying this out... my biggest fear was that i was somehow overcooking it and missing the "butta" feel, but it appears that i never even reached it... i made one over the weekend, and i thought the long stent in the cooler would have pushed it over the edge, but i guess it didn't even get it there... it's all good though... i ended up chopping the whole thing to make brisket cheesesteaks for everyone anyways (which were awesome by the way!)... i'm all about practicing and will do another one this weekend... :biggrin:

thanks again!
Brian

Excellent post! I will make my first attempt at brisket this weekend, and I started my research this morning and came across this thread. This info will be extremely helpful to me. Thanks again!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Back